DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   HBO Unscripted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/37799-hbo-unscripted.html)

Joe Carney January 14th, 2005 10:50 PM

HBO Unscripted

I've been watching HBO's 'Unscripted' miniseries. It has a similar look to last years K-Street (shot on Pana DV). It's a lot of fun to watch with all the cast esentially playing themselves.

Charles Papert or anyone out in LA, could you shed some light on what they are shooting with.

BTW, its a fun, satirical look at actors trying to make it in the Biz. Krista Allen along with others are excellent.

Wayne Orr January 15th, 2005 05:17 PM

I gotta believe they are using the DVX's. Same exec producers in Soderburg and Clooney. And they learned a lot on "K Street." A few months back, George Clooney came by our set and he had a cameraman with him shooting with a DVX, so he is obviously still a fan. Should be an excellent camera for this type of project. Can't imagine what would be better.

Wayne Orr, SOC

Mike Moncrief January 20th, 2005 08:07 AM

Hello,

Finally caught an episode of this show.. A lot of the shots looked like they were very much to the yellow/red color range, like they had tweaked the footage that way .. Any confirmation if the Panasonic camera is used for the show??
I thought some of the footage looked good, but some looked not so good..Sometimes it looked very film like and sometimes it looked like video trying to pose as film(badly).

Mike m.

Imran Zaidi January 20th, 2005 09:36 AM

I remember when they shot K-Street they did a universal 3200k setting for whitebalance for everything, indoor and outdoor. Which of course was the reason all of the outdoor scenes in K-Street were so blue.

It's possible in this they picked a temperature and are sticking to it. Since it appears to be really warm indoors, and the day stuff looks very balanced, I'd say they've probably stuck it at 5600k.

Also, I feel that this might be an appropriate time to say that I might be in love with Krista Allen.

Joe Carney January 20th, 2005 09:44 AM

<<Also, I feel that this might be an appropriate time to say that I might be in love with Krista Allen.<<

HEY!!! I saw her first!!!!Don't talk about my woman like that!!! hehehe

Steve Franco January 25th, 2005 10:22 AM

I'm really enjoying this show. Thought it was a little slow at first but after watching episode 4, I think it's really picked up momentum.

Yi Fong Yu January 25th, 2005 01:10 PM

even though it's staged i still thought that it was another woman playing "krista allen the actress" then i looked up unscripted and realized it wasn't anyone else but herself!

we all knew her from emmanuelle 1-6 (does first contact count as 7?). it's 2bad netflix doesn't carry any of those titles. =). i wonder if that boy jake is her real son?

anyway it has its funny moments and shows the under currents of hollywood actors.

Christopher Go January 25th, 2005 04:23 PM

Just saw episode 5, that was great! It took an independent production to give Krista the respect she's been looking for, and from a 16 year old no less. Her "rap" at the end was hilarious too. Too bad about Bryan's turn of events in North Carolina...

As an aside, I think HBO is the best network out there for writers and artists. I would love to have something I wrote on HBO.

Imran Zaidi January 26th, 2005 10:02 AM

I have a role for her - a great indie film role where she plays a dinner date for the main character, played by me of course. It's very cutting edge so there won't even be any fancy budgets or production or sound gear or cameras, or even a crew for that matter. And the characters go by their real names.

...Ahem...

Imran Zaidi January 31st, 2005 10:33 AM

So I watched a little more closely in reference to the whitebalance thing, and I was wrong. They definitely don't have it stuck on any particular temperature.

I've been trying to figure out exactly how they're deciding to whitebalance. Sometimes the daylight seems balanced, other times it's very yellow. The casual nighttime stuff is always warm, but I think that's just because of the dark environments they're in. The acting class, though, seems fairly balanced.

It could just be that they're just being very random about it and I'm wasting time trying to figure out something that doesn't need to be figured out.

Either way, I'm really enjoying this series. The editing choices in particular - I'm impressed by Mr. Clooney.

Yi Fong Yu January 31st, 2005 02:00 PM

re the young filmmaker. he mentions Truffaut, Godard so blase. i wonder if he's even seen any of their works... just curious =^). i wonder if kirsta even knows what the kid's talking about,lol! =).

how much do you think is real and how much of it is fake? i mean krista sleeping with the instructor... obviously that's a bit staged (or is it>?).

anyway, clooney has confessions of a dangerous mind.

Imran Zaidi January 31st, 2005 02:14 PM

Well it's pretty well staged - you can see that more and more as the shows progress. For example - they're not using the instructor's real name. Also, a lot more smaller character-actors are starting to appear here and there, and not as themselves. Plus some of the stuff that happens is just too convenient, from a storytelling perspective.

Not sure how much is real and how much is fake, but it's definitely staged.

Yi Fong Yu February 1st, 2005 07:33 PM

well, scenes of krista allen wanting to break away from the "sexy girl in bikinis" image is pretty real i think. if you look at her imdb NOW she's got tons of work after unscripted debuted =^)... though i'm not sure if she'll wear more bikinis... =).

Imran Zaidi February 2nd, 2005 12:15 AM

Hmmm... I just realized she had a part in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, also by Clooney.

Joe Carney February 4th, 2005 11:42 AM

I think Ms Allens' are a little to close together. But hey, who's really looking at her eyes, hehehe.

Now Jolene Blalock, there is a world class babe. Wonder what will happen to her now that Enterprise is cancelled at the end of this season.