American Dad is to Family Guy what Futurama is to The Simpsons. they're all top notch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 7th, 2005, 07:55 PM   #1
Trustee

American Dad is to Family Guy what Futurama is to The Simpsons. they're all top notch

have ya'll seen it? wow, American Dad is awesome. it's like Family Guy never left. Seth simply picked up where he left off. what a brilliant comedy. i luv all the irreverence all over the place =).
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2
Trustee

I haven't seen it yet but I taped it on my DVR after the fat men in tights got done tossing a ball around, and am waiting for a nice moment to settle down and watch it. I'm glad that people are enjoying it - I've been waiting for more from Seth MacFarlane for a while. I thought he was working on more Family Guy - but I guess this was in the works instead...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Wrangler

Sorry, AMerican Dad was terrible.

It is basicaly a Family Guy clone, with the same characters only changed slightly. However, it is only about 1/5th as funny as Family Guy (or SImpsons). We watched it as a room full of drunk guys after the SuperBowl and Simpsons, and all of us were pretty much bored half way through it. Two people decided to go home at that point, not even finishing it. I was tempted to too.

I think it's going to arrive DOA in May, and probably won't make a full season. With the exception of one or two jokes, it was BAD BAD BAD.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I kind of liked it, but I don't really see the point since they're making new Family Guy episodes.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I saw a promo spot that said new episodes of Family Guy are coming out in May. I bet that's when they can American Dad. They're just too similar. (with the exception of Family Guy being way funnier)
Jesse Rosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #6
Trustee

i'd give it more chance. i mean the bit with the dog is priceless. and you're right it is pretty familar territory. it's like a family guy clone because that's what seth did AFTER cancellation but due to DVD's popularity they brought back FG. now's gonna be a strange time cause american dad will try to steal the thunder from FG and vice versa. ah well.
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Trustee

Finally saw it. It's funny - I did laugh out loud a couple of times which I rarely do. Not supremely impressed though, although I liked the alien and the fish - they're hysterical. The kid was a little too much like those annoying kids in that Rugrats kids cartoon. And the dad - well he was mostly just a political statement. Overall the only thing it really did for me is get me amped up for the grand return of Family Guy!!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #8
Wrangler

I have to say, the converstation between God and Bush made it worth watching.

Imran, good point about Rugrats, I knew the kid was too familliar.

Also, the alien.... I didn't like Alf, but at least he was original. This one ain't.

In fact, I think the only original thing in American Dad was the goldfish!
Old February 14th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #9
Major Player

American Dad has only proved that Seth McFarlan is a one trick pony unfortunately. Futurama was a brilliant progression past The Simpsons, whereas American Dad is nothing more than a clone.

Shame, I had high hopes.
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Wrangler

Sadly it seems you are correct.
Another excellent evolution was Mike Judge's Beavis And Butthead to King Of The Hill.

Futurama is also my favorite animated show ever. Even over Simpsons and Scooby Doo. I wish they were still making it.
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Trustee

I'm a big Futurama fan too. I had heard that it was also coming back from the dead. Let me see if I can dig up where I read that...

**EDIT**
Scratch that - it was just a rumor.
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #12
Air China Pilot

*sniff*

Futurama. The only cartoon for nerds.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #13
Trustee

i luv futurama as well. i hope matt G has some sense to continue it because sci fi is truly the genre of all genre and the show can last longer than simpsons... where, frankly, it has become very stale. they should abandon simpsons and start building on futurama. i think it can last 20+ years if it wants to. SF is truly endless.
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #14
Air China Pilot

Except Futurama has already been off the air...
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #15
Trustee

Technically, thanks to the Toon network, it's never actually been off the air. And from what I understand, it's got quite a life there. The Toon network brought Family Guy back into active development - lets hope that the same happens for Futurama.

Oh, and buy the Futurama DVD collections if you want to voice your opinions to Fox - if the DVDs keep selling out, then there's the biggest statement there is that they can still make money off the show...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark