Favorite Movie Trailer(s) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 8th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Favorite Movie Trailer(s)

I was thinking about how there is quite a bit of talent involved in making a good trailer, one that makes you really want to see the film. What is your favorite trailer, the one that everytime you see it, it makes you want to watch the movie right then and there. I'd have to say mine would be Adaptation, with Under Pressure by David Bowie and Queen playing (before it became widespread in many many trailers). If I watch that after I finish the movie, I'm tempted to watch it again back to back. What are some trailers you thought were better than the movie itself?
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I really liked the "War of the Worlds" teaser & superbowl trailer,
but haven't seen the movie, of course.

The Hellboy trailer was better than the movie, Resident Evil:
Apocalypse had a great trailer too, haven't seen the movie though.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Major Player

The "Sin City" (Robert Rodriguez) trailer has me psyched to watch the movie. Of course, I do hope that the movie is even better than the trailer...
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I just saw the Sin City trailer and it does look really good. Although it also looks like Sky Captain sometimes. But I believe in Robert Roderiguez and I love the comic so I'm rooting for it. I remembered another case where the trailer outdoes the film.... TROY.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Sin City was very great indeed!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Kingdom of Heaven has a very beautiful trailer (the movie isn't released yet)

Sometimes for a movie you have to release very little info. A pretty bad movie here in Belgium, 'De Alias' had a very good teaser trailer, you only saw a woman crying in a kind of box, it was very dark, and suddenly you saw an axe against the box and she was yelling, so the trailer almost only exists of a black screen and a woman crying. I really wanted to see the movie afterwards.

Pitty the movie was so bad.

BTW: The scene with the box wasn't in the movie, but was just shot by the filmmakers for this trailer!

And Fight Club had a couple of very cool internet trailers too, I think you can find them on the dvd.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : I really liked the "War of the Worlds" teaser & superbowl trailer,
but haven't seen the movie, of course.

The Hellboy trailer was better than the movie, Resident Evil:
Apocalypse had a great trailer too, haven't seen the movie though. -->>>

That WotW teaser momentarily had everybody's jaws on the floor at a Superbowl party I attended.

BEAT (other thread reference ;) )

Everone started talking, all at the same time, about how awesome it's gonna be.

...and for the love of god, don't waste the two hours of your life watching Res Evil.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #8
Trustee

trailers have been around for quite a long time. if you're talking about historically, i really liked the trailer for citizen kane. it's a bit of a fluff, but very stylized... only orson could do it =).

as for THIS particular year, my favorite right now has to be Constantine (both teaser and full traier made me want to see the film no matter how bad it is), Kingdom of Heaven (full version was great... but the edited trailer is less quality than the full one, i'm still seeing it.), and Star Wars Episode III. lucasfilm has always made great trailers... we know by episode i&ii =).

sin city was pretty unique... but i haven't seen the film yet so i dunno.

fight club has one of my fav trailers of all time. i still remember seeing it. i was watching episode i phantom menace and i remembered distinctly that the fight club trailer was so much better than the entire film phantom menace =^). it didn't give ANYTHING away but it gave you enough of a hook to see the film and taht's what trialers should do. most trailers give the ENTIRE fim away... what's the point of seeing the film if the trailer gives away the ENTIRE film? also fight club's trailer was great because even in the trailer when the corporate art was destroyed you realized that anarchic part of yourself wanted to see that film so bad. it had th elements of the film on display for you. the dark humour the narrator's cynical voice. it was awesome. though i'm not a Gen-Xers i know that if i was... i'd've gone to see based on the trailer alone.

re: war of the worlds didn't impress me because if you look @tom&spielberg's current track record they're not exactly making classics. they're just making oodles of money. i have my doubts of war of th worlds. the last few films of tom&spielberg were pretty stupid and borderlining terrible.
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

why do people care about trailers its just a part of commerce. Most of the time they show the best parts and the movie sucks
I rather base myself on reading an article about it or hearing it from somebody instead of drewling for a couple of shots
Dimitri De Keukelaere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Air China Pilot

Because certain aspects of marketing can be called artistic expressions. There are beautiful and dreadful examples.
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #11
Major Player

One of my favorite trailers has to be from "Cliffhanger".

I remember seeing it the winter before it came out in theatres.

It was all visuals(no actual dialogue) and done with a really famous piece of orchestral music that crescended at the end.

HANG ON!

It ended with Sylvestor Stallone doing the "Kings Leap"(which doesn't really appear in the movie)...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Cliffhanger

I was reading this guys list of all time favorite movies (most were pretty good) and he included the trailer for Cliffhanger! So I specifically tracked it down and watched it and yes it is an amazing trailer. Also, has anyone ever seen the trailer for the movie Dr. Detroit starring Dan Akroyd? I've never seen the movie, but apparently his character has some metal claw hand and the trailer was sheer chaos. The movie must be mid 80's if it's lucky. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes, not because the movie was that funny, but the pure insanity of the trailer.
Old February 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #13
Trustee

Going way back - remember the original "Alien" trailer? The entire trailer was this egg slowly opening up....that's it! However, it got everyone into the theater because it was creepy. Also, interestly...it really had nothing to do with the movie itself. The egg was in the movie, but only very briefly. (great scene though)

So, the moral of the story? Trailers shouldn't give the movie away! I make it a point to avoid watching the entire trailer...maybe 15-20 seconds to see who's in it.

If you haven't done it yet - go see a movie without watching the trailers. It's a whole new experience....I just did it for "Sideways". My friend said to see it, so I went....totally awesome experience!
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #14
Major Player

More recently, the Incredibles. The trailer with Mr. Incredible trying to put on his belt. I laughed so much. They did such a great job with that, I'll bet I watched it a hundred times. The one with "woman, give me my super-suit" was funny too but the big disappointment came when I went to see the movie. It was alright, but not on par with the other Pixar movies in my opinion.

The teaser trailer for "Signs" (Mel Gibsons) was really intriguing but the movie was a huge disappointment as well. The movie was nothing like I expected from the trailers, I actually kind of felt robbed afterwards.

...and Star Wars Episode I
I couldn't contain my excitement when I first saw the trailer on the big screen (I was a Star Wars kid growing up, wanted to be Luke so bad) But when my buddy and I went to actually see the movie on opening day, we ended up walking out of it because it sucked so bad!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #15
Air China Pilot

Newest Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trailer makes fun of trailers.

http://home.gotland.com/wisby/internettrailer.avi

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark