Goodbye Lenin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Goodbye Lenin

Just watched on cable a wonderful movie from Germany called 'Goodby Lenin'. An excellent comedy about a son trying to protect his ill mother fom the tumultuous changes that happened in the forrmer DDR of Germany when the wall fell and Germany reunited.

It's one of the best movies in recent years dealing with the affection between a mother and son (wholesomely) to come out of anywhere.

It's also a wonderfully subersive attack on both extremeist ideologies and rampant consumerism without being preachy.

If this is an example what the German film movement is starting to produce, we all have a lot to look forward too.

If you don't have Starz cable, try your local video rental place or Netflix.

BTW, no sex, nudity, and only a very few well placed curse words. suitable for most viewers 13 and up.

In German with English subtitles. Don't worry, the visuals are so good, you won't spend all your time 'reading' the movie.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, I saw that when it came out & it really stayed with me. One of those pictures where flashy technical stuff is beside the point: give me a good story, with characters I care about!
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #3
New Boot

:) i am an east-german, and my friend Andreas Winkler (also member of this forum too) we still have the DVD even we live in Taiwan now, when watching the movie we all are falling back in old memories about our home-country, every detail we notice and it remember us about a small story, food / clothes / his yellow scooter (i had same in blue) the ugly looking helmet... the money / the empty stores, just everything we know from real...

btw. this movie isn't a comedy, it show u how was it in real...
Mirko Sohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Mirko, I wasn't making light of the problems that overtook the former DDR. The comedy was the situations about how far the son would go to protect his mother from change, since she was a dedicated comunist, too hardcore even for party regulars. Yet it wasn't about comunism at all.
This isn't a belly laugh comedy. It has serious points throughout, but more a thoughtfull well done make you think type comedy.

Maybe a dramedy would be more accurate. (hollywood corruption of the language et all). Or a drama with a wry sense of humor and depth. What ever you call it, it's a great movie.

Last movie out of Germany I liked so much was Run Lola Run. I saw it in the theater, purchased the DVD and the sountrack. Became a Franke Potente fan.

Like I said, seems German cinema is starting to make a mark on the world.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My wife grew up in East Germany and when we watched it a few months ago, she kept stopping it and explaning to me.
According to her, it was extremely accurate. The West German film maker gets her seal of approval for telling it very close to what she remembers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark