"Stone Cold" Starring Tom Selleck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Trustee

"Stone Cold" Starring Tom Selleck

Can anybody confirm or deny DP Rene Osashi's use of HD 24p for the Tom Selleck TV movie "Stone Cold" based on Robert Parker's novel? The cinematography just blew me away and it had that rich, velvety HD 24p look. Mr. Osashi really caught the most beautiful "golden hour" shots of the Halifax, Nova Scotia seaside town where the movie was filmed. His interiors were fantastic as well. I cannot find the technical specs on the IMDB website nor on the Sony Pictures Television website.

I really hope the producers assemble the same production team for the possibility of shooting the other three Jesse Stone novels.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Murph's opinion - HD 24p

Hi Hugh,

Interestingly, I hadn't watched a Prime Time network movie in....well, years. I recorded on my HDTV DVR the "Stone Cold" movie because it was "New England" based. I live in New Hampshire and know all the places they usually try to emulate on these types of movies. It's fun to see what they get right and wrong.

First, the cinematography was beautiful....you are so right! My girlfriend and I thought it looked "like a movie". I'm almost positive it was HD 24p because it had the warmth of film, but it also had such a consistant look that it couldn't be film. You know how film picks up very subtle pieces of light and it looks organic? This didn't have that organic subtle thing I love about film. Although, I will say that this look on "Stone Cold" was something that I could love too. It's so close...yet, a little different.

I never read the book, but I can say that the sub-plot of the rape didn't make any sense. They shouldn't have had that story in there...it was distracting in a way. Afterwards, I stated that it should have been woven differently...like the girl was the daughter of the "pal" that got shot. She getting shot and having a daughter would have made more sense. That's just me though..the book might have been better at weaving it all together.

Also, I REALLY loved the pacing for television. It was slow...they stayed on shots for a good amount of time and there wasn't a lot of quick edits. It also never went into any silly action sequences...just the end where they wait in the parking lot. It was so well paced.

My biggest complaint - and it has nothing to do with the movie is the DAMN network. I've been in a time capsule for a few years and haven't watched much Prime Time programming....it drove us nuts when they showed scenes that were coming up. Is that normal now? I kept yelling at the TV. Why the heck are they giving you the story right before you watch it? It's insane. Are they expecting people flipping through to stop and get excited by a 3 second tease? It ruins it for your current viewers!

Anyway, I was a little surprised to see a post on here about that movie. I enjoyed it...it definately had a "feel" to it. It's my opinion that it was HD 24p....

Murph
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Trustee

The show had a very comfortable warm tone that added to it's ambiance and to it's main character played by Selleck. I feel that the cinematography was a character in itself. The whole thing had a homey feel and if the mood requires, I would like to see more of that kind of cinematography on TV in the future. I bet you could emulate that look with your Sony Z1U.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm certainly going to try it....the Z1 is the closest thing you can get right now to "Pro" HD. I'm looking forward to some short films.

If anyone has any projects in my area of Boston...let me know!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark