DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   underwater cameras & "The Big Bounce" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/39968-underwater-cameras-big-bounce.html)

Lorinda Norton February 22nd, 2005 07:17 PM

underwater cameras & "The Big Bounce"

Yeah, for me the movie was STOOOPID (here I thought I couldn't go too wrong with a cast that included Gary Sinise and Morgan Freeman), but the Special Features were worth the rental price!

If you like surfing and have never seen how the DPs get their shots, rent this movie and skip straight to the special features. Man, shooting surfers and inside those waves looks hard--terrifying, actually--but so fun!! I thought the camera guys did a terrific job.

(I've gotta confess-- I did laugh out loud a time or two. : )

Chris Hurd March 6th, 2005 01:22 PM

Thanks Linda, I just might do that... I have to confess I actually liked the surfer-chic flick "Blue Crush," if you haven't seen that, check it out.

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2005 10:39 PM

you were right!

Great suggestion, Chris. The behind the scenes footage in "Blue Crush" was ten times better than the one I mentioned!

My family and I got to hang out at Pipeline/North Shore Oahu in January so I really enjoyed seeing those scenes on film. Early in the movie when the girls actually find a parking place close by I just had to laugh---it seemed like there was never a place to park when we were there.

With the exception of "Legally Blonde" I think that's the only "chick" movie I've ever seen. It was quite....um....interesting. But fun!

Thanks again.

(most memorable line in the movie: "Did you call me 'bra?'") : )

Charles Papert March 13th, 2005 11:14 PM

I watched a lab screening of this summer's big action movie "Into the Blue", with Paul Walker and Jessica Alba. The underwater footage (more than half the movie, I think) was stunning. My pal Shane Hurlbut shot it (I was invited to work on it but had other commitments) and he supervised an unprecedented 7-week D.I.; the resulting images are stunning. The movie's not too bad either, for mainstream action stuff. Same director as "Blue Crush", also, Chris (we all did "Crazy/Beautiful" together a few years back).

hey Lorinda!!

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2005 11:18 PM

Hi Charles!

I never did thank you for that picture of the guy "hanging" from the helicopter. Are you sure that isn't just a little bit fun? : )

Can't wait for "Into The Blue." Say, I hate to show how terribly ignorant I am, but what's "D.I.?"

Charles Papert March 13th, 2005 11:23 PM

not at all Lorinda.

It stands for "digital intermediate". The film was scanned at 2K (current state-of-the-art is 4K; "poor-man's" DI involves telecine to HDCAM or, better, HDCAMSR), the timing process as well as effects were done in the digital environment, and then rescanned back to negative. In this instance, Shane and the timers were able to unify the various colors of the water from shot to shot. Considering that some were done in a tank, others at 40', others at 50', cloudy day/sunny day etc., every underwater shot received tweaking on some level. As I said, it's pretty stunning and redefines underwater photography, I think.

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2005 11:43 PM

Man, what a process! When I see this movie I will be watching closely and really appreciating your friend's great work.

Thanks for the explanation!