Star Trek Enterprise cancelled, the end of Trek or beginning of endless fandom? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 6th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #31
RED Code Chef

There's a rumour Spike TV might pick up another season:

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNe...rticleid=71459

I'd have to say that my fav. trek (besides Charles hologram girlfeidn) must be in this order:

1. Deep Space 9
2. The Next Generation / Voyager

TNG because I grew up with that, but it's starting to look "old"
(which is why I could never watch TOS). For some reason I seem
to enjoy voy better than most, although don't get me started on
the ending. That was just plain wrong, absurd and insane.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #32
Slash Rules!

Why? Didn't it end happy for everyone? Isn't that what we all wanted? Or did you want everyone to die? You sadist! I don't remember it now. . .something to do with time travel? Was that the one where Harry and Chakotay were "old", and everyone else was dead, and they had to fix it?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #33
Trustee

the best series finale was TNG hands down. TOS didn't really have one since each episode pretty much stood alone.

TNG's finale was grand because it made think all the way back to encounter @farpoint. plus it really ryhmes with having Q as the book end of the entire TNG series, and that by the end, he's STILL watching.

DS9's ending was good but it was really stemming from season3 on when the war started. it did refer to the first episode a little bit (making sisko an "EMISSARY" in a true spiritual sense). i wish they brought back picard and TNG crew for the finale to wrap things up as a nice bookend.

VOY ending was terrible. everytime they need some rating help they bring out the borg. it's tired and pretty much a whore-like behaviour. i enjoyed VOY's pilot in that they had an element of mystery behind the caretakers. i wish the caretakers could return and throw them back to alpha quadrant and then finally explain why they did it in the first place, who the caretakers were in the universe. it'd've been a nice bookend (it's all about bookends baby).

with ENT, there is a rumour going around that the series will end on a holodeck and that ALL of ENT was simply a simulation on what *might* have happened, therefore voids ENT as a whole. so ENT was one big holodeck episode dreamed up by B&B. lol =(.
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #34
Slash Rules!

Wait, Enterprise wasn't SUPPOSED to end early, so would they even have the ending ready? I figure it'd just peter out, and that'd be it.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #35
Major Player

The cancellation was announced before they had finished filming all the episodes, so they can re-write the last couple to make a wrap up for the series.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #36
Slash Rules!

Whoa buddy. . .wait now, that's IF the fans don't magically save the series from extinction. :-)
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:23 PM   #37
Trustee

unlikely this time. it worked last year... but not this year... unless spikeTV picks them. but does spike even have $30mil to produce an original SF series? what have they produced themselves? i mean honestly, invasion iowa is hardly a real idea...
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #38
Slash Rules!

only 30 mil? What are there, like 22 episodes a season, and the Treks have normally run for seven seasons each? So we got four more seasons, at 22 episodes, x 3 mil for each episode. . .

I get $264 mil.

Unless maybe they further cut costs and shoot everything on a DVX100 (not the A, cause that would cost more) :-)
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #39
RED Code Chef

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Why? Didn't it end happy for everyone? Isn't that what we all wanted? Or did you want everyone to die? You sadist! I don't remember it now. . .something to do with time travel? Was that the one where Harry and Chakotay were "old", and everyone else was dead, and they had to fix it? -->>>

I wasn't happy for the following reason:

1. it really felt rushed (the last couple of eps), to get it out (they where perhaps hoping for anothor season?)

2. they really didn't do it themselves, but with the help of the borg (which I didn't like, as someone else pointed out, the borg had been overused and too easy on voyager)

3. it involved (yet again) a form of time travel, I'm sick of that on Star Trek

4. you really didn't get a sense of what it was like to come home (the alternate future doesn't really count) after searching for that for seven years!

I just thought it was a major let down. I did like the new hull
armour though <g>

There is some form of "time travel" in all of the TNG movies as well (not cool):

- Generations: real time travel by the way of the Nexus
- First Contact: real time travel when they pursue the borg
- Insurrection: time travel in the form of slowing down aging
- Nemesis: a form of bending time with the clone and yet another Data (who can be upgraded to good old data, which kinda bends time, not to mention cheating death)

The last two are a bit of stretch, but it is all so unoriginal. Like the
ending of Voyager. It could've been so much better....

Oh well, I still enjoyed most of it (except Nemesis) on at least a
"popcorn" level.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #40
Trustee

Ah one thing that's always reliable amongst all of us who watch even one Trek episode. We're all pretty much as opinionated as we can get!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #41
Slash Rules!

And nerdy.
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #42
Trustee

oops, Josh you're right, i was never good@math =). i can see why paramount wouldn't wanna sponsor a 5th season. heck, they can make a handful of EVENT films at that BUDGET! i would even take lesser quantity of episodes provided each episode had higher quality writing. case in point are shows on HBO. they're merely 10-13 but each episode is quality stuff.

rob, i agree wholeheartedly. the biggest thing about voyager finale was the blatant rip off of TNG's finale (also passage of time differential), only what fits TNG does NOT fit voyager. as i noted before the mystery of the caretaker and array should've been explored more cause they started that thread in the pilot episode... but never went back. the beginning and the end should flow as one coherent whole instead of a zig-zagging nonsense, which voyager became as time went on.

i also agree on the whole time travel ordeal, it is sordid and tiring.

the thing about all of the feature films is that i never felt like i was watching an epic film (motion picture comes close, but no cigars). even as great as 2 and 6 is it still comes off like just an episode of TOS or TNG. i dunno why but films are never as epic as lord of the rings emotionally nor intellectually as big as the matrix trilogy. based on the films alone they can never supercede even the star wars prequels in scope and scale.
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #43
Major Player

<<<-- the thing about all of the feature films is that i never felt like i was watching an epic film (motion picture comes close, but no cigars). even as great as 2 and 6 is it still comes off like just an episode of TOS or TNG. i dunno why but films are never as epic as lord of the rings emotionally nor intellectually as big as the matrix trilogy. based on the films alone they can never supercede even the star wars prequels in scope and scale. -->>>

That's almost entirely Paramount's fault. Except for the first one (the one that comes the closest to looking EPIC) Paramount never wanted to spend much money on Star Trek films. Just enough to get them on screens because there's a pre-built audience that they can wring for every dollar. I think no. 2 cost something like $18 million. Even in 1982 that won't buy you a whole lot of movie. Generations cost (and when I say cost, I mean was given, because that's how it works in Hollwood. They give you so much money and that's all you've got to make your movie with, there is no more) $40 million. That's just not enough money to make an epic space adventure movie.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #44
Wrangler

The best thing to come out of Voyager was Species 8472. I wish they could have explored that more.

As much as Voyager lagged compared to TNG and DS9, it was great to see the Borg get dropped kicked into the end zone.

As for Enterprise, I dropped off about 6 episodes into the 1st season, I really wanted to like it. But let's face, Scott Bakula was so much more interesting in Quantum Leap. Heck I still watch those re-runs.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #45
Trustee

i think for the next iteration of star trek on film to succeed it would have to take the form of someone like peter jackson who is passionate about LOTR. it'd have to a director who can direct but also loves the star trek material. and i'd really like to see rick berman get out of the business in general. it's terrible what he's doing the franchise.

i mean can you imagine a LOTR-like thing with star trek? i'd so watch it. i'd also like to see a proper send off with TNG cast. nemesis was as terrible "send off". it's still not too late, none of the current cast has died yet =).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark