DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Star Trek Enterprise cancelled, the end of Trek or beginning of endless fandom? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/40483-star-trek-enterprise-cancelled-end-trek-beginning-endless-fandom.html)

Yi Fong Yu March 3rd, 2005 08:19 PM

Star Trek Enterprise cancelled, the end of Trek or beginning of endless fandom?

http://trekweb.com/articles/2005/03/...7670001c.shtml

and someone donated $3 mil provided season5 is a go.

Josh Bass March 3rd, 2005 08:25 PM

I won't say I love it, but I think it's pretty good, for Sci Fi. The other series that came before were better, but I'm still not happy about it.

I'm thinkin' next series: "Star Trek: Women's Locker Room 9" (WLR9 for the fans).

Boyd Ostroff March 3rd, 2005 08:32 PM

That link now says that anonymous fans in the space flight industry have pledged $3M to keep the series on the air...

Josh Bass March 3rd, 2005 08:44 PM

Is that enough for four more seasons?

Joshua Starnes March 3rd, 2005 09:40 PM

It's enough for about one more episode.

Josh Bass March 3rd, 2005 10:12 PM

And that'll satisfy everyone?

Imran Zaidi March 4th, 2005 08:20 AM

Well ultimately I don't think the point is to fund a whole season, but rather to show that there's enough interest to raise quite a bit of cash. Dollars is the universal language of studio execs.

Boyd Ostroff March 4th, 2005 09:35 AM

Something about this whole thing reminds me of the classic Saturday Night Live episode that William Shatner hosted. The fans kept asking him trivial questions about various episodes and he finally snapped and yelled "Get a life!" ;-)

K. Forman March 4th, 2005 09:40 AM

I enjoy Enterprise, much more than STNG or DS9, which both lasted several seasons (Too long!). The effects and makeup are getting much better, as are some of the stories. Enterprise made the mistake of trying to have an epic storyline, which made it like a space soap opera. That is what killed Voyager and DS9, and now, Enterprise.

For years now, many fans have been trying to bring the adventures of Captain Sulu on the Excelsior to life.

Yi Fong Yu March 4th, 2005 11:26 AM

enterprise is up and down. when they have good writers such as chris black, mike sussman, coto writing it can be pretty good from season1-3. but when coto started exec. producing season4 he made an awesome choice by harkening back to TOS. he brough onboard true SF writers, but not just SF writers (as DC Fontana, Richard Matheson were to TOS) but STAR TREK SF writers. Judith+Garfield Reeves-Stevens have written Star Trek Federation, Prime Directive, Return of Kirk trilogy, etc. when i read their novels, it was always very cinematic. certain writers just fit like a glove when they start writing for tv/films (just like golden age of cinema). so it's no surprise that my fav eps of enterprise are written by the Reeves-Stevens. they are an absolutely unstoppable hubby+wife team. they really should be commissioned to write the next Star Trek films cause they know the trek-lore, they are excellent cinematic writers, they are great literate authors in general. it's a win-win formula for success... and yet execs@paramount fails to see this money-making opportunity. sure i wouldn't mind giving it a rest but even after the rest they've hired a band of brothers scribe to pen the next star trek film, that is a big ass mistake. they have an excellent core of writers/producers now (minus rick berman and braga) and they're willing to dash that on the cliff rocks. kinda stupid if ya ask me.

re: comparing it to the other series is still quite a joke. TOS is what started the entire Star Trek phenomenon. i never quite get why people diss the phony visual fx. it was the 60s, there was noway in hell to do it better on a tv budget! but in terms of story/dialogue/performance TOS is still waaay up there in TV history. very few shows come close in quality, scope and study of humanity. i think ENT is better than VOY but definitely comes up short (even with Reeves-Stevens) to DS9&TNG.

Josh Bass March 4th, 2005 12:22 PM

Enterprise better than the other series? Blasphemy!

Yi Fong Yu March 4th, 2005 12:40 PM

Josh,

VOY was terrible, i mean anyone can admit that =^). the acting was the worst of all trek. it's so cardboard and so devoid of life... for SEVEN YEARS STRAIGHT!!! AH!

Imran Zaidi March 4th, 2005 01:18 PM

Yeah aside from the star trek factor, voyager was just poor quality in every way save special effects, making it the exact opposite of the original 60s show. Well, not that the 60s show had great acting, but you get my drift.

I only recently saw the last couple of seasons of DS9 since it was on reruns and I recently got a DVR. I must say I really enoyed those last two seasons - I'd heard they were the worst but I liked them better. I also thought the character development was way beyond any of the others thus far. What I enjoyed about it is that it dealt alot with regular life and human behavior as it may be in the future, not just zipping around in ships and shooting aliens. Go figure, my taste.

K. Forman March 4th, 2005 02:31 PM

I can sort of agree that Enterprise isn't better than TOS, but it is certainly the best since. Voyager is also up there in some ways, as it pits humanity against the dangers of new space. They were truly explorers, much like Kirk was.

One of my favorite episodes was the one where they were stuck in the comet's wake, and found the old Earth capsule that had been lost. Very reminiscent of Bradberry's Trek, before Columbia started to choke it off.

And then there was Jeri Ryan in spandex... ;)

Charles Papert March 4th, 2005 06:58 PM

<<VOY was terrible, i mean anyone can admit that =^). the acting was the worst of all trek.>>

Except for that Vulcan hologram gal in the episode "Blood Fever"--she was good (and hot, to boot). Oh OK, I'll admit it. That was my girlfriend Amy...!.