Alien at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Alien

Just now buying the DVD of Alien. What can I say? An awesome movie (better then Aliens to me,) especially with the Director' commentary. The chest bursting scene is just as disturbing now, as it was when I was a kid (that's a rare thing to say about older horro movies in general.) It's a shame Ridley Scott cut out the scene where Ripley discover's the impregnated crew members, though. That scene was pretty damn creepy.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

What a great ensemble cast that was... John Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Yaphet Kotto, Ian Holm, Harry Dean Stanton, Tom Skerritt... some seriously good talent there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

Glenn, I absolutely agree.

I find "Aliens" a bit dated now even though it's still an awesome example of editing and script in an action movie.

But "Alien" still stands up as a very good atmospheric movie. I don't find any of it dated at all. Love love the ensemble casting.
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Alien is a perfect example of what todays sci-fi/horror films can't seem to achieve. The perfect balance of tension, atmosphere and plot. Just the right amounts of each. It seems like todays horrors are all-gore and no atmosphere or all-atmosphere but no substance.

I can't say that I think Alien has been equalled in that regard.
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

when the directors cut of alien came out it was released theatrically over here in england. it was incredible, it was like it had just been made. there's still something incredibly radical about it, its grittiness, its pacing. it has not dated at all, unlike aliens.

btw have you seen the restored version of alien3? it's amazing, even though fincher has all but disowned it.
Jon Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

No I haven't seen the restored version. I love fincher's work though and unlike many I didn't mind Alien3 as much as most did. When a friend of my first got his surround sound a few years back he'd always toss in that DVD to show it off. Great sound design, all icky and wet and dripping. In fact the whole film feels that way.
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i agree, i always did like the third alien in its original form even though no-one else seemed to (including the studio, the cast, the crew...), but the restored version is something else. well worth checking out.
Old March 19th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

in fact, i'm going to watch it right now!
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Enjoy:)
Ian Poirier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark