Constantine & music vid directors who go on to film. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 9th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Constantine & music vid directors who go on to film.

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/arti..._video?pg=full

^if you check out above article they seem to endorse f. lawrence. so what do you think? have you seen Constantine? what do you think of music vid directors going over to film medium?

i think Constantine will be cult hit once it hits DVD. it didn't do so well in box office. p00r marketing, imho.
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #2
Major Player

There have been some good crossovers and some bad crossovers.

Visually they can get it done. But half the time they don't know how to tell a story.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The crossover from short form to long form is a tricky one. I think the best mainstream director to ever accomplish it, is Ridley Scott. Started off as a commercials director. See his first feature film, "The Duellists" for a look at how every film he shoots afterwards is the same film.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Air China Pilot

And compare Ridley Scott to Tony Scott for an example of a director who has never made that transition well.
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Trustee

so did anyone see Constantine? no interest?
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've seen it!

I don't really feel like writing a review about it but I was looking forward to it and really liked it when I saw it, it delivered. I'm sure it's not for everyone but I think the idea of the battle of celestial beings with humans in the crossfire is pretty cool. There are some really cool scenes, and for as much computer animation as there was it really didn't bother me like most do. It's exciting to watch and think about while you're watching it. One thing I specifically liked is that it doesn't really slow down for anybody or anything. If they didn't explain something as much as you wanted really well too bad because they're not going to. It was nice to finally watch a movie that didn't dumb everything down and characters saying stupid things for plot's sake. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who was interested in seeing it. If it doesn't look like it's for you, it's probably not.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #7
Trustee

i like the scene between keanu and rachel when he was looking at her about the clothes. that was awesome =).

plus keanu reeves in noir-detective mode was pretty kewl.
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah I liked it. It's not for everyone, but it's enjoyable.

The story was kinda film noir with a touch of excorcist camp, the cinematography reminded me of the Matrix, special f/x serviced the story.

It's a light/fun weekend getaway movie.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Trustee

i dunno why but i have a feeling it's gonna be a cult hit like matrix, equilibrium, etc.
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM   #10
Wrangler

I agree, it's a cult film. I'm already saving a space on the shelf next to all the other comic book -> movie DVDs.

And yeah, I think it would have done much better at the box office, if they had marketed it differently.

Keanu's performance was okay, but the supporting cast was great. I especially liked the actors who played, Gabriel, Midnite, Constantine's sidekick, and Satan, looked like they were having fun.

As for having a music video director, I think it worked for this movie, he did a good job, looking forward to see what's coming next from him.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark