New Star Wars Film said to be very "dark" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 11th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Major Player

New Star Wars Film said to be very "dark"

Finally

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have the trailer for Ep3. :)
Old March 11th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Air China Pilot

They make great trailers. This is a pretty good one. More stuff on screen than any other trailer :).
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Trustee

Lucasfilm in general cuts great trailers. i still remember seeing the re-release trailers for ep4-6. remember indiana jones was coming to DVD? those trailers are awesome too. Willow, American Graffiti, THX 1138, they are all excellent trailers. but remember, ep1&2 had excellent trailers, too but the films themselves... didn't exactly live up to expectations, as they were.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5
Major Player

I saw the trailer tonight before Robots (which is WELL worth seeing itself!) and the movie looks seriously awesome. The only thing I didnt like about the trailers is they gave away way too much about how the whole things going to go down. There were major spoilers in it. And it did indeed look very dark.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #6
New Boot

I will honestly say that this SW3 looks very pleasing. I'm definetly going to see this one but more for the visuals than anything. I may give props to Lucas on this one.
Steven Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #7
Trustee

spoilers in what way daniel?

i've been pretty careful about not spoiling myself for this particular episode since i spoilt myself silly on the last two (like the quigon thing =).
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Yi Fong Yu : spoilers in what way daniel?
-->>>

ANAKIN IS REALLY DARTH VADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The thing that strikes me about the upcoming film is - The story line is a done deal.

I mean, we've all known that the plot line was going to be that Anakin becomes Darth Vader, the Jedi's are hunted down and wiped out, and the universe is plunged into darkness.

Don't know how you can 'spoil' that.

In a way, it must have been liberating to write. Almost as if you were handed an old myth, or fable as an assignment and told to make a cool film out of it. The plot is a done deal, what you get to play with is the embellishments, the secondary characters and their relationships, the environment...

It's like the heavy lifting has already been done. Because of this, I think the fans are going to be more accepting of it. No one is going to be surprised, or even expect to be surprised by the ending.

Sort of like going to see a symphony, and listening to an old piece of music, but analyzing this particular rendition. Or to carry the metaphor to its extreme. We know how the whole opus plays out already, we're just listening to the third movement.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Major Player

This is what movie making is all about, excitement. Wouldn't it be nice if every new movie out of Hollywood was exciting like this? lol
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Trustee

well that depends on the individual. i was pretty excited about constantine before it came out cause the trailer+teaser's camera angles looked awesome. when i saw the flick i wasn't disappointed but i also realized that it wasn't as "classics" as i thought it was gonna be. i think it'll be one of those "cult hits" when it goes on DVD. now, when i first saw the matrix that's what i thought too but the more times i saw the matrix the more things i got. probably the same with constantine? =^).

the next two films i'm very excited about is Sin City and Kingdom of Heaven. both have exciting trailers with awesome camera angles. so in terms of excitement level i'm actually more excited about NEW films instead of pre/sequels. with somn like star wars, we've been disappointed with ep1&2 so i think a lot of fans (well the smarter ones who are less visceral) tend to back away from disappointing themselves. on the other hand i was MORE excited about LOTR when it first came out than i was for star wars prequels =).

dylan,

as OB1 said in Episode I towards the end,

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : <<<-- Originally posted by Yi Fong Yu : spoilers in what way daniel?
-->>>

ANAKIN IS REALLY DARTH VADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -->>>
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Gonna see Sin City tomorrow. You never know what you're going to get out of Rodriguez. I'll let you know if it's any good.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #13
Trustee

sneak preview? let us know in a new thread how it is =^). i'm excited.
Old March 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I think the problem with the last Star Wars will be Haydn Christensen (Skywalker).
He can't act at all. Pouting all the time doesn't make you a good actor. He comes off like a depressed self absorbed wuss who takes himself way too seriously, instead of a malevolent bad ass. I'm sure he is trying, and maybe the direction he is getting is lousy...
Maybe he will finally break through on this last one.
Maybe Natalie Portman will ask me for a date.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #15
Trustee

e: hayden's acting. i'm not DEFENDING him, just relaying info people might've missed. this is from homing beacon#63:
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/...n/beacon63.html

"He has a great capacity to have a brooding dark side," says Writer / Director George Lucas, describing Hayden Christensen. "He's very good with anger, and those kind of qualities, which are not only important for this film, but are even more important for the next film. I was casting for the arc of this character, not just how he was able to play it in this one. The boyish qualities start to drift away in the next film."

When landing the role of Anakin, Christensen's research materials were the four previous films of the Star Wars series. "There's only so much you can draw from a man behind a mask," said Christensen. "But I wanted to bring some of the monotone aspect of the way he delivered his lines to my character, to a lesser degree, just so you can see where he was going. Also, there were certain times when I'd move my hands the way he would to indicate certain physical sensibilities that were to come."

To further school himself in the way of the galaxy, Christensen watched Episode I every weekend during shooting. "It was more to get used to the way people talk in the Star Wars universe," he explains. "It's not the way normal people speak, so the delivery and the speech patterns are something that I was trying to have constantly imposed on my own psyche so I could be comfortable with it."

Christensen also carefully eyed Jake Lloyd's performance as the boy Anakin, looking for ways to bridge a character pure in heart to one destined for darkness. The scene in which Anakin confesses his first irrevocable step tothe dark side merged both characteristics. "In the telling of it, for me, it was a chance for me to justify Anakin's younger more immature sensibilities," says Christensen. "The fact that he can do this horrific act, but in the retelling of it, he would break down the same way a child would ... that was something we were consciously aware of when we were filming it."

As far as Anakin's ultimate fate, Hayden doesn't have any insights other than what is commonly known about the rise of Vader. "I can really only extrapolate on what's been said in the latter part of the saga," he says. "I murder all the Jedi and there has to be some falling out between Obi-Wan and I that leads to a fight scene. Aside from that, the only thing that I ever nag at George is whether or not I'm going to get to wear Darth Vader's outfit. And he gives me a 'wink wink, nudge nudge.'"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark