Movie Talk - What do you like? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old November 21st, 2002, 07:40 AM   #61
Regular Crew

OK, in no order......

12 Angry men
The Italian Job
In the heat of the night
Dr Strangelove
A lion in winter
Zulu
El Cid
The Searchers
10 Rillington Place
The Elephant Man
Schindlers List
Gregory's Girl

A few have been listed by others.
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:03 AM   #62
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I tried to list my favorite films recently and it was impossible to stop..the list just kept growing and growing.

Lately, though...I've been in a "study mode"...watching or re-watching movies that I've loved. Here are a few:

Some Girls
Very stylized...nice symbolism used...and overall rather poetic.

Local Hero
Low key...but loaded with dry humor. Also makes you reflect on what's important in life.

Harold and Maude
If you've never seen this film, you need to drop whatever you're doing and go rent it.

Barry Lyndon
One of the very first movies filmed with all natural lighting, if I remember correctly. Kubrick wanted the lighting to appear as it would have during that period, so I believe they had to come up with some new technology at that time to pull it off. I love the "rambling" nature of the film...and have had a crush on Marisa Berenson ever since I first saw it.

This list could go on and on, too. Guess I've been watching more than I realized.
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:33 AM   #63
Major Player

Thanks to the gentleman who posted IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. I forgot that one, as well TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and the original CAPE FEAR!
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:44 PM   #64
Wrangler

Uzumaki
Spirited Away (Japanese Anime)
Count of Monte Cristo (most recent adaptation)

I like these movies because they're engaging because the story lines are told well. Except for Uzumaki there are very few special effects.

Uzumaki - Interesting and very odd story line, kinda like a creepy japanese twilight zone, looks low budget but keeps you engaged.

Spirited Away - Lovely animation, watch it in a movie house and you'll really appreciate the artistry. The story line keeps you engaged ... a bit long but not too long. One reviewer called it "like a Japanese Alice in Wonderland but not"

I really enjoyed the latest adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo beautiful imagery and one of the best adapted story lines - the great thing is that there is almost no "action" in the whole movie it moves along at a "slow" pace but engages you with all the emotional imagery. I thought it was just great, a "real" movie which I haven't experienced in a long time.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:50 PM   #65
Air China Pilot

Agreed on SPIRITED AWAY. A real shame that it wasn't promoted well by Disney but that's par for the course. Disney just let MONONOKE HIME die in North America as well.

I thought COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO was passable. It moved along well and it had some high points, such as when he returns as the count to impress everyone with his riches. However, the sword fighting was a real let down and his confrontation with his friend pretty stale.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:42 PM   #66
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Just saw two more last night that need to go on the list:

The Last Picture Show
Summer of 42

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark