help me ID this-- please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 4th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

help me ID this-- please!

hi gang--

been puzzling over this for years and maybe this forum will finally answer it:
around summer of 1999 i was house sitting for some folks-- they had satellite cable or something and i was surfing. I came into the tail end of this movie, maybe the last 10 mins before credit roll. What i saw was a dramatically shot-- almost 'operatic'-- urban setting, at night, as the final events of what i gathered was a bank robbery/heist etc were going down. As i watched this i surmised the robbery etc was coming apart and ending in disaster; people getting shot, running through streets and buildings to get away from (police?). I recall a white female and several males, black and white. I *think* i remember a shot of paper currency being blown down night streets-- and a nice crane shot over a bridge. What may have struck me was the lack of dialogue for what was a pretty climactic scene. This movie was in color, and none of the actors were known to me.

except for the night and color aspects, it sounds like i just described Kubrick's 'The Killing', but this movie would've been a recent/contemporary release in summer '99. I can't imagine this one being made prior to '95.

And no it was not 'Heat' (Michael Mann)

Any ideas??

This is one of those fleeting glimpses of imagery that simply sticks with you for *some* reason-- after all thse years i'd like to find this thing and see if the rest of it is as good as the last few minutes.

best to all,

MRP
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I did various google and IMDB searches, the only thing besides
Heat that came up was SWAT, but that is new and with famous
actors. Perhaps it was the old SWAT from somewhere in the 70's,
who knows (I haven't seen it).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Major Player

I think this is a Sean Connery film... there's a wharf and a gun right at the beginning...?
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well remember that i walked in just a few minutes from the end-- if Sean Connery were in it he must've been bumped off by that point or was at the bar while the rest of the cast gets shot up in the finale.

It def. had the sense of being an ensemble cast, the feeling that several character subplots etc were intersecting badly as this heist/whatever was happening. The key to my visual memory was how grand and stately some of the cam work was; big-time crane work, dramatic angles, some stedicam as well with the running robbers. And it was night, with lots of red lighting, wind machines, probably a fog machine thrown in too. And as well as the street footage of crooks running away there was a bit of scrambling *inside* some rundown building-- panicky guys leaving the scene of the crime i guess. Very much 'tragic conclusion' mode

And the prod date can't be any earlier than 95-- since i saw this snippet in mid-99 i would guess this was released 97 or 98.

The lack of name stars that i could see would suggest this to be an indy, but if so it must've been a large-budget indy. Maybe foreign?

MRP
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

A good friend of mine made these suggestions:

It could be Doberman, or Killing Zoe, another bank robbery going
awfully wrong. Both movies feature rather unknown people.

Hope this helps some!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark