Official Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith *spoiler free ONLY before 5/19* - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:39 PM   #16
Trustee

Just saw it last night...

Darth didn't quite sound the same, but maybe they did that to still keep some JEJ sound as well as the Anakin sound.

Anyway, I went in not expecting much and that's what I got, so I guess I have to be pleased ;)

I thought Anakin's turn from struggle with himself to slaughtering anything insight was rather stupid (Unbelievably quick)

Did Palpatine need to write, in think felt pen, "Excuse me, I am a Sith Lord and I want to turn you evil" on his forehead before Anakin realied he was a bad guy? Obviously, cause Anaking just didn't get it.

There was nothing new in there, it was a linear progression from the previous movie to Darth Vader. I would have liked to have seen something that made me think.

Lucas' love for slapstick just annoys me. The first 10-15 minutes was like a Charlie Chaplin movie - I hate jokey robots.

I agree Padme could have almost been removed and lost nothing.

On the good side, I liked Palpatine. How when talking with Anakin, he'd move between sounding like an evil mother, to a genuinely nice guy who cared about Anakin. Well done on his part.

I liked all the varied vehicles and things, really interesting and rich - and I always like Yoda. Although, having just about kicked Palpatine's arse, he goes "I must go into exile, I have failed" rather than "I'll take a breather for a day or two, go back, with another Jedi, and deal to him."

Sorry to be so negative, I guess I was really hoping that something really good would happen this time. People had been building it up, telling me it was "darker" and "way better" than the other two, so I gave it a chance.

Aaron
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:40 PM   #17
Trustee

This is just to much! Look who was almost the voice of Vader!

Looks like James Eark Jones is a pretty nice guy. But, not with Verizon. ;)

http://www.mckeeth.org/2005/05/almost-darth-vader.shtml
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:24 PM   #18
Trustee

If it's true, then THANK CHRIST! Imagine him as Darth Vader! ARRRRGHHH!

Aaron
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:19 AM   #19
Trustee

James Earl Jones already confirmed he voiced ROTS during several interviews. last few minutes of episode3.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM   #20
Major Player

Darth didn't quite sound the same, but maybe they did that to still keep some JEJ sound as well as the Anakin sound.

Well, he is about 20 years older than the last time he voiced Vader. Harrison Ford doesn't sound exactly like Han Solo any more either.

There was nothing new in there, it was a linear progression from the previous movie to Darth Vader. I would have liked to have seen something that made me think.

It depends on whose watching it. If you come in as a fan of the OT, no there aren't any major plot twists. How could there be? Why should there be? On the other hand, if you come in watching in numerical order with no knowledge of the next four films, the entire thing is a big plot twist that you won't see coming. It seems to me Lucas has tried to make a film both for the older fans, and for future ones.

Lucas' love for slapstick just annoys me. The first 10-15 minutes was like a Charlie Chaplin movie - I hate jokey robots.

What's wrong with Charlie Chaplin? He was a genius. Made some of the best films ever made.

I agree Padme could have almost been removed and lost nothing.

Except of course Anakin would then have no reason to do anything that he does.

It feels like Lucas really made something this time. I can't wait to see what he directs next.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM   #21
Trustee

Jokey robots, I would say, is consistent with the Star Wars world. Heck look at the Return of the Jedi - some pretty goofy robots in there. I find it entertaining personally - gives me a giggle just like it's supposed to.

And I agree on the Padme thing - while she wasn't developed further too much, and her death was very uneventful, she still was critical to the development of Darth Vader's character and absolutely couldn't have been just removed from the movie. Seen as a single movie, though, yes, Padme's character was seriously lacking.

Overall, if I had to cut one single thing out of the film, or changed it, it would be the Darth Vader "noooooooo" bit at the end. So ridiculous people in my audience giggled, even though the moments leading up to it pretty much had you in the exact right emotional tone.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM   #22
Major Player

Is it me or was Yoda the best "actor" in the film? I
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #23
Major Player

"Darth didn't quite sound the same, but maybe they did that to still keep some JEJ sound as well as the Anakin sound."

"Well, he is about 20 years older than the last time he voiced Vader. Harrison Ford doesn't sound exactly like Han Solo any more either."

A reply to a reply..
I think that voices don't change that much with age.. But I thought that in this case the voice was distinctly different. But since Yi Fong Yu already confirmed his presence maybe it's all in my head. I'll see it again just to make sure.. ;-) Since the it was sold out digitally I'll have another excuse to go watch it again..

BTW, How did that marathon you mentioned, Yi, go? Are you sure you weren't all asleep at the end?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:03 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Okocha
I think that voices don't change that much with age.. But I thought that in this case the voice was distinctly different.
They do, especially between youth and old age. A lot of people have been saying things about they don't think it's Vader, it doesn't sound right . . . I don't know where that comes from. It is most definitely James Earl Jones doing the voice, he and Lucasfilm have said so many times.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:30 PM   #25
Major Player

Well, of course there's difference between the voice of a man and a boy, other than that I think we have to agree to disagree..
I also don't doubt that the voice belongs to Mr Jones. If it comes from Lucas.. who am I to say i doesn't..?

On another note I think Hayden remains a week actor. I also think that Lucas himself is a much better storyteller than director. He uses technology in a wonderful way of course and has pushed the limits everytime with Star Wars. BUT other than techwise I think he fails to bring out the best of his cast and is not innovating at all with camera movements, angels or cuts.. Of course it's all IMHO and no intent to offend anybody. I do appreciate the whole series though as a great story! Enough ranted..sorry. ;-l
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:35 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Starnes
They do, especially between youth and old age. A lot of people have been saying things about they don't think it's Vader, it doesn't sound right . . . I don't know where that comes from. It is most definitely James Earl Jones doing the voice, he and Lucasfilm have said so many times.

It sounds like James Earl Jones, but it does sound different, definately. When I heard it I assumed they melded JEJ and Annakin's a little so that we would believe it was Annakin but still believe it was as the original. I mean hey, I'm sure his voice must break a little more or something between EP3 and EP4 - there is 20 years or so between them no?

Aaron
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I suspect that those people in Australia who listed "Jedi" as their religeon on a census will be reconsidering their choice. The Jedi come off as a rather cold-hearted lot.

Is it "Jedi-like" to leave Anakin aka Darth Vader to be burned alive, when Obi-wan could clearly have saved him?
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Or at least euthanized him. But then we wouldn't have Episodes 4, 5 and 6.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #29
Wrangler

Yeah Kenn,

I think you're being way too tough on poor ol' Obi-wan! To approximate a quote from the judge in Caddyshack, "I've sent boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to. Felt I (...dramatic pause...) owed it to 'em." Anakin had it comin'! ;-)

I'd still rather be a Jedi than a Sith...unless, of course, The Great Truth holds even in the Empire that the bad boys get all the hottest babes! (Clarification for my wife: "Why, yes, I AM a bad boy!" ...whew, that was a close brush with a fate worse than Anakin's!)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #30
Regular Crew

"But then we wouldn't have Episodes 4, 5 and 6."

I guess that was the primary problem with this film; everything had to line up for IV, V and VI, regardless of how silly (Vader's "Noooo!") or unconvincing; Anakin's all too rapid and barely motivated turn to the "Dark Side."

Oft heard line: "What's my motivation?"

Reply: "Your motivation is that I can go out that door and find at least a dozen other people to replace you."

"Thanks for clarifying that, Mr. Lucas."
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark