Crash: the new Magnolia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 10th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Crash: the new Magnolia

Crash with Don Cheadle & Matt Dillon, etc is a definite must see. If I were pitching this story to an studio executive I would say it's Magnolia meets Mulholland Drive.

I think this one kind of goes under the tentpole category, but more so with characters as the poles instead of car chases & exploding buildings.

Last edited by Jed Williamson; May 10th, 2005 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Major Player

This isnt the same Crash that involved sexual arousal from car crashes and their injuries is it? now that was one disturbing film in a sick twisted way.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stahley
This isnt the same Crash that involved sexual arousal from car crashes and their injuries is it? now that was one disturbing film in a sick twisted way.
Yeah, that scene with the scar, wound or whatever was just raunchy. I heard the same comparison drawn to Magnolia on the radio, but the movie reviewer said it was more "accessible" that most PTA stuff.
Brooks Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Trustee

No, there's a new film entitled Crash, written and directed by Paul Haggis, who also wrote Million Dollar Baby.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I just saw this film and I definitely thought it was powerful. Very interesting.

The look was very daring also... a lot of blown out windows, dark (seemingly ambient) shots, etc.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #6
Tourist

Oddly enough, a film associate of mine was urging me to watch Crash. Shortly after briefly describing the movie, I asked him "Have you seen Magnolia?".

I look forward in catching the movie after the half a dozen times I'm gonna go out and watch Revenge of the Sith.
Will Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, I love Magnolia. I also loved Crash. I don't want to compare the two much because the only place they are similar is the structure in which it's written. The subject matter is entirely different. Plus Magnolia wasn't the first to use that type of parallel narrative.

I don't honestly see the parallel between it and Mulholland Drive... but maybe it's because I didn't like it at all. Haha. To me, Mullholland was random and nonsensical. I don't see many similaries, but that's just me.

But either way, I thought Crash was beautiful. From beginning to end. Characters, acting, dialogue, shots, music... even the opening titles looked good. It was a great film. I found the twists great, the story great, and loved the intensity and suspense that film produced.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Overall I liked the movie, and liked certain things. But often I found that the movie was trying too hard. It felt like the "powerful" scenes were being forced down my throat rather than just unfolding naturally. Some characters were well developed and believable and others did not portray real people. Ludacris' character simply went on rants about racism. I didn't buy anything his character had to say, regardless of whether or not it was a valid point. I also didn't like how many characters were so offended by the racism coming their way, yet would turn around and dish it right out to another race (Don Cheadle offends Jennifer Esposito, who then rudely attacks an asian woman). The movie was good, but certainly not great. Even though it is a great message I feel it was way too forced.
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Crash was enjoyable on some level, but it was so overtly constructed. Sure, all movies are constructed, but I don't feel it does justice to even compare this to Magnolia. Magnolia did not try to beat its message on the audience with a stick, it didn't shove the main issues down our throats. Crash did.

It also overdid the coincidence thing. In Magnolia, the characters are linked by thematic parallels, but in Crash, they just 'crash' into each other throughout the entire film. Some would say that's the point of the film, but it's still just the writer 'joining the dots'. "Hmm, how can we make sure everyone is connected?"

Overall, Crash had some great moments, but almost every character was under-developed. Magnolia managed to do the opposite. Magnolia may be three hours long, but the duration of Crash was imposed by the filmmakers anyway. If one is going to make a 'web of life' film about 9+ people, then naturally they would need to dedicate enough time to each of the characters. Amidst all the hype, Crash didn't realy deliver. Magnolia, released in the same stellar year as other great films such as American Beauty and Fight Club, did not seem to be a box office smash. However, it is undoubtably one of the best films of the 90's.
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark