DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   The Longest Yard, a Long Night at the Movies! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/46784-longest-yard-long-night-movies.html)

Mike Teutsch June 25th, 2005 10:34 PM

The Longest Yard, a Long Night at the Movies!

Ok, I know that I will catch some flack for this post, and maybe it’s just my age! But, I just got back from seeing, “The Longest Yard,” and what a piece of crap. It seems that almost no one can make a good comedy anymore! This is just the latest movie to raise my ire.

I am not a big Adam Sandler fan, but he actually did fairly well in this movie, and the gentleman who played the warden always does a great job of acting. The rest of the acting and all of the direction was the now typical over the top, over acted and just plain stupid. The original, “The Longest Yard,” while not a master piece, was a classic and well done. This one is just a joke, and a bad one at that.

I have never made a movie, and I never will. But, I know that many of you on this forum have, have worked on and contributed to one, and or will at some time. Why is the current trend to over do everything? In place of good writing and directing, are poor acting, bad direction, sight gags and bathroom humor! It’s not that these are extreme low budget movies either! These are not “B” movies!!!!!!!!

Ever since everyone sat around the campfire and farted themselves into history in “Blazing Saddles,” bathroom humor has permeated comedy. It has its place, but now is being over done like everything else in cheap movies. I challenge anyone to find a Disney comedy from the last 15 years that does not have it, and many in fact are rife with it. If I recall correctly, in “George of the Jungle,” (I think that was Disney) the lead character stepped in and or sat in S**t twice and was literally urinated on by an elephant another time. And, these are “G” rated for your kids!

What has happened to clever writing, acting, and directing? Laugh if you will, but when you have a bit of time to spare try to find a rerun of the “The Beverly Hillbillies.” I watched some a while back and was enthralled by the acting and directing. Crazy premise and implausible characters, but because of great acting and directing, they carry it off! Max Baer (sp?) as Jethrow is the best example. You would think no one could be that dumb and naive, but he pulled it off. You do not think about the acting at all. It just seems natural. Elie Mae, Granny, and Jed are the same. Drysdale and Miss Jane play a little over the top, but it suited the roles! When they made ”The Beverly Hillbillies” movie, nothing worked, because it was all overboard again! Don’t get me wrong, there were some talented people in the movie, such as Cloris Leachman, and Jim Varney , but it was over the top and unbelievable again. And, for those of you who never lived in So. California, and never got to see some of Jim Varney’s work in local commercials, I feel sorry! He was a comic genius!

I am of the mind that all movies need not seek to be intellectually challenging, made to win Oscars, and or secure immortality and lasting fame. The vast majority are made just to entertain and humor us, and thank you very much for that! But too many are being made just to cheat us out of our money! People complain about the price of tickets, but the cost of a ticket is cheap, even for a mediocre movie, compared to just about anything else we do. Give us even a half-assed entertaining movie and we will be satisfied with our investment. We may not buy the DVD, but we will probably rent it!

Another example of the trend would be “Legally Blonde.” It was entertaining and fairly well done. No classic, but enjoyable! Then came “Legally Blonde 2,” a total waste of time for everyone involved and everyone who ever paid to see it.

Please, for all of you that are in this business to entertain us and make it your life’s work, do it right. Cheap is not just a monetary term, it also has to do with not attaining your goals and satisfying your viewers. Entertain us, and we will respond with our money and adore. Don't make the popcorn the best part of the experiance!

Let my blasting begin!

Mike

Nick Hiltgen June 29th, 2005 10:49 AM

I don't think I'm blasting but I'm not sure I completely agree with you. I found moments in the longest yard to be pretty childish but for the most part I enjoyed that movie. I haven't watched the original though so coming in from a dry reference point I found it entertaining. I think it's just a matter of opinion.

I guess I'm a little confused at the point your making. Is it that you shouldn't make comedies if they're dumb comedies? Or is it that kids shouldn't watch fart jokes? I think the reason these movies get made is because people will see them and they do make money. I'm afraid that while you may have a more refined taste for movies the average movie theater patron does not. If people in fact do stop watching these movies and watch something else then they will cease to get made but until that time comes. The smarter movies (think office space) will not be in theaters very long and will only really make money by word of mouth and even then it won't be much.