HD scene in Phantom Menace at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old July 11th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #1
Major Player

HD scene in Phantom Menace

I have heard this rumour a few times,does anyone know if its true and also which scene it was.

Also what was the camera and did it have panavision lenses?

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gurvich
I have heard this rumour a few times,does anyone know if its true and also which scene it was.

Also what was the camera and did it have panavision lenses?

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich
Pretty blatant if you ask me: It's the scene in which Qui-Gon tells Anakin he's checking his blood for infections. It was the F900 but I'm fairly sure they hadn't Panavised it by that point yet.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Episode 2 was shot with Sony F900, Episode 3 with Sony F950. Lucas used Fujinon lenses.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM   #4
Major Player

I watched that scene and it was very dark. But i dont think i would have noticed if i didnt know already. Also, the footage of Ewan McGregor in the ship that is very red and looks pretty average, so im assuming this is on HD too.

Just wondering, is there a massive difference between the lenses they use on differen HD productions, (IE Csi NY, Once upon a time in MEXiCO, 24). Ive checked out the latest season of 24 and it looks to me like digital betacam.

Very sharp but ultimately very unfilm like. It seems HD is inconsistant across the board, unless ofcourse that the film look is dying and is being replaced with ultra sharp, ultra bright uber video looks.

Confused,
Ben Gurvich
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #5
Major Player

As Radek said...it wasn't a scene...it was the whole darn movie. I think even the first film was entirely HD.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm pretty sure that Lucas said that he had to shoot Episode I on film because the HD cameras were not ready when production started.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If you look at the IMDB, with The Phantom Menace, the technical specs, Episode 1 should be have filmed on 35mm, not on HD. Bennis is right.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Major Player

http://www.videotechnology.com/old0604.html

Digital Cinema comming of age.

The Sony CineAlta™ 24p HDW-F900 HDCAM™camcorder system that was used to shoot Star Wars Episode 2.

Sony and Panavision worked with Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) and Lucasfilm on a series of tests that convinced George Lucas and producer, Rick McCallum of the benefits of shooting in digital 24P at 1920 x 1080 HD sampling.

The cost savings for Film Makers is tremendous. Said the producer McCallum, He estimates a saving of US$1.6 million in film stock, dailies (rushes), sound transfers, lab and telecine costs alone. He also maintains that he can document a total saving to the overall production of between $2.5 to 3 million dollars, by shooting HD over film.

On Star Wars Episode 1, Phantom Menace, Lucas shot the equivalent of 1.2 million feet of 35mm film (or about 20,000 feet a day). This would have cost the production $684,000 just for the raw film stock alone. By comparison, Lucas only spent $15,000 for HD tape stock.

For Episode 1 they scanned over a million feet of 35mm film into the digital domain, so they could input it to their computers, making Episode 2,this step was skipped saving some $500,000.

During the shooting, they made true video clones of all the material each day. So they could produce a number of masters that were effectively indistinguishable from each other. This procedure dramatically reduced their negative insurance costs to the tune of about $125,000.

Additional information can be found in the article "Digital Cinema By George" published in the American Cinematographer magazine, September, 2001 page 66. Also in the article "Framing The Future" on page 76 in the same issue.
Filmmaker George Lucas has authored technological innovations feb18 2004, The HollyWood Reporter

Lucasfilm is now using Sony's New 4:4:4 High-Definition Recording System For Star Wars: Episode III, HDC-F950 HD camera and the SRW-5000 HDCAM SR VTR. The HDC-F950 captures uncompressed images at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 in 4:4:4 RGB
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Oh it would be great if I could steal such a cam, or 'borrow' it from Lucasfilm :-p
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Lucas also started using a real time preview of the CG during filiming using a large flat panel display. He could see the final (or close to) sets replacing the blue/green screen while the talent was performing. (this was for Episode III). Pictures showed a comfortable couch on the set and instant playback. very cool.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #11
Trustee

it's true. search through theforce.net or go on their fanforce message board. it's both the qui gon checking anakin's blood scene as well as ob1 gets promoted scene with yoda@the end.

twas a prototype. episode2 was the first production model.
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Guys,

Yes ep1 was shot on film, but the rumour Ben is referring to is that Lucas said at the time that he shot one scene with HD and challenged anyone to tell him which one it was....
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #13
Trustee

what has been said by ben burtt&lucas is no rumor. the rumor revolves around which shot is HD>
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:14 PM   #14
Major Player

Actually, it's only the checking of the blood scene, and that is it - using a prototype of the F900 and, if I am not mistaken, the first specially made panavision lenses they managed to get to work with the camera (though not used for Ep. II).

The scene with Obi-Wan's promotion is shot on film - if you watch the documentary "The Beginning" on the DVD, when they get to the filming of that scene with Frank Oz, the Panavision cameras they used to film it are plainly visible in the background.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:05 PM   #15
Trustee

any confirmation of that josh? i can't find it anywhere in news sources.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark