Need a Movie Reference...step up, Film Fans! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Wrangler

Need a Movie Reference...step up, Film Fans!

ok, movie fans...name one of those movies, preferably famous, where the protagonists try to drive away or run away from the haunted house to escape from it, but end up right back where they started from, in front of the haunted house. Try as they might, they can't escape this loop.

I know I've seen this motif a buncha times. But I need a specific reference. I know they're out there! Preferring a classic reference, but will accept all comers.

Thanks!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Oh, God, now I'm going to go crazy racking my brain for all of these...I know I've also seen this premise several times, but off the top of my head I can't come up with any examples beside "Identity", which isn't either a classic (by my standards it will be, one day, but I know what you mean) or a straight up horror movie. More murder mystery/thriller with a dash of sci-fi/fantasy thrown in, but it still features the aforementioned mechanic prominently toward the climax.

I'll come back with more titles if I can remember any.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

"The Descent" is modern one which throws a decent twist on this idea.
"The Evil Dead" movies also do it to certain extent.
Also "Cabin Fever" has a semi-subtle one...

Sorry, I can't seem to think of any Classics which do this at the moment.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Wrangler

glad I could infect you, Robert. These little mental tortures are already better when shared.

The Abandoned has this as well - but I'm still searching for an originary b&w film in the classical Hollywood style. I can see it in my head, but for the life of me, I can't remember the title or the context. Too much "Chiller Theater" as a child...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

In The Mouth Of Madness from John Carpenter isn't a bad, but a bit overlooked movie.
He tries to get out of a village, and at the end of the movie somewhere, if I'm not mistaken - it's a while ago - he keeps coming back to it.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark