DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Beam me up, Scotty!---No more! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/48034-beam-me-up-scotty-no-more.html)

Mike Teutsch July 20th, 2005 12:11 PM

Beam me up, Scotty!---No more!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor James Doohan, best known as the feisty, Scottish-accented chief engineer on television's original "Star Trek" series -- a role immortalized by the catch phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" -- died on Wednesday at age 85, his manager said.

For some of us that grew up with the original Star Trek series, and just general Science Fiction fans, I thought I would post this. Scotty has just beamed up for the last time.

Mike

Lorinda Norton July 20th, 2005 12:16 PM

First "Bones" and now Scotty. I hate to see 'em go. :(

Devin Eskew July 20th, 2005 03:13 PM

Very sad, he was one of my fav's.

Mike Rinkunas July 20th, 2005 03:43 PM

I argree….

Scotty was one of my inspirations for becoming an engineer - no matter the size of the problem, lack of tools, or threat of impending doom could stop his character from doing his job….

Thanks James, where ever you have been beamed to now.....
~Mike

Michael Gibbons July 20th, 2005 04:07 PM

For me there is no Star Trek except for the original. The cast is huge part of why that is- I don't think they ever came even close in any of the later incarnations- and scotty was a big part of that cast.

K. Forman July 20th, 2005 04:42 PM

He also did many character voices in his career. And if it weren't for my wife's stubborness, my second boy would be named M. Scott.

Richard Alvarez July 20th, 2005 05:05 PM

I actually got to meet him, back in... '76 I think. I was working at a television station in Houston, and he came in to do an interview on the morning talk show. I recall being surprised that he didn't have an accent. Heck of a nice guy... of course, this was after the series had ended, and before the renewed interest in it... so it was a 'low point'. But he was really really nice to talk with.

God speed....

Dylan Couper July 20th, 2005 05:43 PM

That's sad. Scotty is possibly my favorite ST character of any series.

Keith Loh July 20th, 2005 06:22 PM

Before I read his bio I had no idea he was missing a finger.

Mike Teutsch July 20th, 2005 06:48 PM

I heard today on the radio that he could handle 7 different accents. He chose the Scottish one for Star Trek because he thought the Scot's were great engineers. Also heard he never got tired of hearing, "Beam me up Scotty!"

Mike

Barry Gribble July 20th, 2005 07:03 PM

Sad to see him go. That show was very dear to me growing up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Also heard he never got tired of hearing, "Beam me up Scotty!"

And yet it was never actually said in the entire series....