DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   kick ass (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/481669-kick-ass.html)

Andy Graham July 10th, 2010 07:32 PM

kick ass

I did a search on the forum to see what you all thought of kick ass but couldn't find anything, I was really apprehensive about this film , i though with a title like that it must be terrible. But im so glad i watched it, its probably the most entertaining film iv seen in a long time, It starts off a bit slow but it kicks in and just keeps getting better, although you do need to leave you're sensible hat at the door.

It also has pretty much the best "in a burning building" scene that iv ever came across. If you avoided it ,you need to go back and watch it, its epic

Andy.

Bob Hart July 13th, 2010 09:58 AM

Here's my review copied from Film and Television Institute : Fremantle, Western Australia : Professional Development, Independent Screen Production and Events

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must confess a guilty pleasure. I had to ditch the car at a reasonably safe place to catch the train.

So I left it at the cinema carpark which is a bit of a sin and went to see Kickass to see what the fuss is all about and to legitimise my parking there.

Firstly - FINALLY - there are some American actors who have heard of DICTION, sound recordists who are either very good or were not bullied around by everyone else to get outta the way and/or good ADR.

I had no problem with dialogue, unlike some other more notable movies which sound like somebody stuffed a sock in the actor's armpit then told the actor to speak into it.

I didn't find the use of profanities overwhelming. Others may choose to differ with me on this point.

Overall, it was an enjoyable romp and took its fun of the superhero genre in a realm just this side of plausable when it needed to be.

The moviemakers have hedged their bets and by keeping one foot in the plausability zone, have led me to not much care for the girl getting beat up and thrown through the table.

Like one or two older martial arts flicks when the female tai-kwondo heroine or whatever gets a hammering, there is risk of implied licence to the world's woman-warriors, - bullies and deadbeats who like to pay out but can't or won't fight a man.

Even allowing for the graphic novel "over the top" zone that this movie also seeks to inhabit, I think a line has been crossed that maybe should not have been.

An opportunity to play a better pay-off from this scene was missed, that of having the bad guy turn around just a little bit and show a hint of decency, maybe even raise some doubts in Hitgirl's mind, to make her take pause on what she is about to do and then drop her guard to his advantage.

The opening was there with the "I wish I had a son like you" dialogue.

Then again maybe they had shopped it already and decided against it in the final version.

Whatever, - they did a better job of this movie than I ever could.

Watch it and enjoy.

Alex Raskin September 27th, 2010 02:01 PM

Andy, I think the movie was fun, and exquisitely shot.

With all the hype, I thought it'd be a bit more than what it really was, but hey... still very good :)

Caricature Father character played hilariously by Cage was unexpected and welcome.

Overall, I thought the movie was a great ride.

Andy Graham September 27th, 2010 02:45 PM

Yeah i had the pleasure of stumbleing across it on icefilms and i had no idea what it was and heard nothing about it which is probably why i loved it so much. Glad you agree on predators btw, thought i was the only one whos eyes are working for a minute.

I see you're from NY, i was there last year passing through, the taxi guy took us on a tour of some dodgy part of Queens on the way to the airport which was an experience. Im in a sleepy village in Scotland so it don't get much different than that. Loved it though, spent the day in manhattan which was cool.

Andy.

Alex Raskin September 27th, 2010 04:48 PM

Queens? Try Spanish Harlem, man...

Although really, NY is very very different (better) now than, say, 20 years ago. Ever seen Escape from New York, the movie? :)

David Schuurman November 20th, 2010 02:18 PM

I watched kickass right after watching defendor. both of those movies fall into the plausible superhero category which I loved.