The Walking Dead at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old November 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Adobe Systems

The Walking Dead

Have you guys seen this new show on AMC yet? It's great. The visuals really deliver a frightenting, suspenseful atmosphere but the story also has some good character development and plot points. Definitely reccomend checking it out.
Drew Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm digging it so far. There have been a few "groaners" in the writing here and there, but I guess that comes with the territory. Did you catch the out-of-focus buildings in the background in the last episode, where they were supposed to be miles from nowhere?

Great makeup and plot development, though. I understand it's going to get tricky to remember characters in the upcoming episodes, as somebody's going to get knocked off every episode. I believe they have also signed for a second season already. It's filling the "Breaking Bad" void nicely.
Shon Troelstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm also into it. I was skeptical initially, just because it didn't seem to bring something new to the genre the way 'Shaun of the Dead' did.

It looked like (and is, IMO) a basic zombie story - the zombies are everywhere, disparate band of survivors, they fight each other as much of the zombies, etc. I wasn't sure why we needed a basic zombie story stretched out into a series. But AMC has a good record so far in character-driven, quality stories, so I watched the pilot.

They have some good actors, and Darabont seems to have a real feel and love the for genre and the characters. So at least in these initial episodes, they nicely balance the performances with the action and put in some good production values.

I've heard they film in Atlanta, which I believe has a lot of urban sprawl. It must be a lot of work (and money) to make a lot of those scenes.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I love the series. it's managed to stay pretty true to the source material so far, but we'll see how that goes.

If they DO stay somewhat true to the graphic novels, then it will easily be the best zombie movie/show. Ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wasn't sure why we needed a basic zombie story stretched out into a series.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is actually what sets the story aside from all other zombie stories. Since it's a series, you'll get a level of character development that you would NEVER get from a 2hr movie. This is what makes the graphic novels so good.

Before these characters die, you will REALLY know them, and that is something not even the best zombie movies could give us; the chance to REALLY care about peripheral characters before they become zombie fodder.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Wrangler

As a long time zombie movie fan, Rick summed it up perfectly. Walking Dead presents an opprotunity to involve you in the characters like no film could ever do. I have a few small issues with it, but compared to 99% of the zombie movies out there, it is amazingly well done. With Darabont and the budget and source material, I'd expect nothing less.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark