I enjoyed "The King's Speech", but how much do audiences care about visual quality? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: I enjoyed "The King's Speech", but how much do audiences care about visual qualit

There are still "trained" projectionists around, and they typically work festivals, where they must deal with both analog and digital in various formats. They're usually pretty sharp guys.

But at multiplexes? Forget it.

I remember the joys of running dual-projector changeover systems. You had to stay in the room, since reels were only 15 minutes long. And if there was a issue with a machine, you'd usually hear the problem long before you saw it. Every projector purrs in its specific way, and when its purr changes, you know there's something wrong. The only way to learn the purr is to spend enough time in the booth -- less easy to grasp with changeovers, when you leave after starting the film.

Speaking of bulbs, there are, by the way, a few theaters around that still use carbon arc lamps. The Roxie here in SF has them. First time I saw them I was a little awed.
Allen White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark