Mosman theatre Sydney closes :( at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Mosman theatre Sydney closes :(

Very sad to learn that the Sydney Greater Union theatre at Mosman will close on Jan 26. It was first opened in 1911, a fire in the 20s and various rebuilds over the years.

It has without a doubt, the best sound system in Sydney. Whoever designed and specd it, should get a medal, it's a fabulous project. Yes I know the super theatres at Chatswood have great sound, but they seem sterile to me, detailed and accurate yes .. but Mosman has character .. in both theatres. I know some Hollywood mixers who could tell you what stages various films were mixed on, and probably who mixed them .. based on what they heard at Mosman.

And both screens are huge. I've been going there since I was a kid, to hear my action films, one of the best was Top Gun.

But on Jan 26 no more :( The reason is poor attendances.

I saw 'Unstoppable' with Denzel Washington on the weekend .. whoa! Sydney folk should get over there and catch that .. it's a runaway train saga and the big engines really rock! (no pun)

Sit in the middle in theatre one, you'll love it, and shed a tear on your way out.

No Cheers.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Two days to go, *closing soon* has real meaning after 100 years. Yep the first theatre was established there in 1911, probably old time vaudeville.

I've been in touch with them, the last roll of film will run off the projectors after the 9pm show next Wed 26, then that's it .. finoto! .. finish! .. the end!

I've seen Denzil Washingtons 'Unstoppable' there twice now. What a soundtrack!, what a sound system! this years Oscar nomination for sure. I'd say the winner.

Closing Soon, sob.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark