Tell Them Who You Are at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Tell Them Who You Are

Just a note to recommend the doc "Tell Them Who You Are" - Tell Them Who You Are (2004) - IMDb I watched it yesterday on NetFlix. A remarkable doc that works on a number of levels. Not only is it an examination of Haskell Wexler the cinematographer, it's an interesting insight into his relationship with his son, the Doc filmmaker SHOOTING the project.

There's a moment where his son is shooting the 80th birthday party for his dad. The party is full of A list people. Haskell is chatting with George Lucas, and Lucas points to the camera and says "You could shoot commercials with this camera." (Some sort of DV cam) Wexler replies "Yeah, yeah - I'd still want a sound man." George agrees "Oh yeah, gotta have a sound man."

As it happens, the sound FAILS on the DV cam, leaving the filmmaker with two hours of fantastic party images and no sound.

A really compelling doc.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Great, I'll be sure to add this to my queue. I'm a big fan of his. Thanks Richard!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I watched it 'streaming' - no waiting. I'm really loving this aspect of Netflix. Finally cut my comcast back to Internet only. With a digital antennae, I don't really miss much. I didn't have a 'premium' package anyway.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Can't wait to see it... now if I can just find similar titles for James Wong Howe and Lucien Ballard...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark