Scariest Movie You'v Ever Seen - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 4th, 2002, 10:15 PM   #46
Wrangler

What about the last shot in "Invasion of the body snatchers" where Donald Sutherland points and screams..?

I agree that that was one of the most chilling moments in horror movies. A great twist at the last minute. Sure got me too! :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2002, 03:20 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Anyone ever see "Trog"? probably doesn't hold up now, but when I was like eight, it scared the heck outta me. I saw the first "Friday the thirteenth" in an old buck-a-ticket theater. Again, doesn't really hold up now. There was also one called "Don't be affraid of the dark", where these little mushroom people were tormenting this poor girl and *****spoiler alert*****seal her into a fireplace. The original "vanishing" was a bit slow at times, but what an ending!!! But my alltime creepy still has to be "Trilogy of Terror". The one with that little african doll with the knife and big teeth:)
Daniel H. Buchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 05:55 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Last night, IFC ran "Taxas Chainsaw Massacre." Not only is it fairly weird, creepy, gross and disturbing, but it's also a great example of highly effective moviemaking on a very small budget. Down here Tobe Hooper's still quite a legend, and "Texas Chainsaw" tops a lot of people's freak-out lists in this area.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 08:54 AM   #49
Matthew D.

Agustin Villaronga's film "In a Glass Cage" was both frightening and disturbing. When I saw it at Chicago's Music Box Theater the night of its premier in the summer of 1989, over 50% of the audience walked out after just half an hour.

The first season of the original (b/w) "Outer Limits" tv series from 1963 had some very frightening episodes. I recall "It Crawled Out of the Woodwork," "The Invisibles," and "Architects of Fear" as being some of the best examples. The show was produced by Joseph Stefano, writer of the screenplay for Hitchcock's "Psycho" - and photographed by the amazing Conrad Hall.

Sadly, with the exception of the episodes Harlan Ellison penned and very few others, the second season of "Outer Limits" was rather poor.

When I was very young nothing frightened me more than the evil Daleks, and their creator, Davros, on the BBC series "Dr. Who."
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Has anybody here ever seen the original BBC "Quatermass" serials ny Nigel Kneal? Or perhaps the "Quatermass" Hammer-produced film from the late 60s called "Five Million Years to Earth" or, alternately, "Quatermass and the Pit"? Great stuff.
Old September 27th, 2002, 08:30 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Chris, I'm with you on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I had always sort of dismissed it as gory, z-grade stuff until I actually saw it a few years ago on laserdisc. It's really well-made! Very intense! Not really gory at all. I'm now a believer. And man, that opening scene of Suspiria... Wow. I do think it goes downhill from there and that the ending is pretty ridiculous, though.

Yay to whomever mentioned Polanski's Repulsion! That's an all-time favorite of mine. The Tenant is also great stuff in parts... And of course someone already mentioned his Rosemary's Baby.

Anyone seen Don't Look Now? Nic Roeg, 70s, Donald Sutherland, Julie Christie, Venice... Just recently re-released in WS on DVD... Worth a look if you like interesting filmmaking and creepiness.

The Wicker Man is kinda cool...
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 12:30 PM   #51
Inner Circle

"The Exorcist' when it was first out in theaters. I was only 16 and snuck into the theater to see it. Didn't sleep for about a week. The guy sitting next to me passed out he was so scared.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #52
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You mean no one has ever seen the 60s creeper "The Shuttered Room" with Oliver Reed? I'm surprised it hasn't popped up on the list again...really, really scary stuff. The thing about it is the viewpoint of the "thing" that's watching the family through cracks and keyholes...with heavy breathing, of course.

For old-timers, I have another question. Does anyone remember a 60s black & white movie (might have been a teleplay) about a man who accidentally gets locked inside a huge NY department store overnight? After the lights go out, the mannequins come alive...but it turns out the mannequins are nice and they help him escape a run-in with these shadow people with glowing eyes that also come out at night when the lights go out. Sounds goofy when I write it now...but just seeing the slight movement of those dark shapes and blinking eyes in the darkness as they stalk him through the dark store...that was pretty scary.

And I remember one more for old-timers, there was a particular episode of Grizzly Adams where something (again with heavy breathing) is stalking Adams' cabin and watching him from the bushes. Turns out it was just a wolverine...but the build up was so well done, in creating a creepy, suspenseful setting, that it has stuck with me all these years. I remember even as a kid being impressed with the way it was shot.
Old September 28th, 2002, 07:27 PM   #53
Slash Rules!

Bad Seed! Village of the Damned!
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #54
Matthew D.

You mean the original (1960) "Village of the Damned", right?
Old September 28th, 2002, 10:42 PM   #55
Slash Rules!

Damn skippy. . .not that remake with Kirsty Ally.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:54 PM   #56
Major Player

Scariest Movies

There are too many for me to list all, but here are a few:

(the first) TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (theatre)
JAWS (theatre)
EXORCIST (theatre)
(the original) THE HAUNTING (home)
ALIENS (for some reason the second one scared me more than the first - theatre)
THE BIRDS (home)

One of my favorite "suspenseful" movies is the original CAPE FEAR with Robert Mitchum - "Counselor, I got all kinds of thing in store for your family", and "Your daughter's lookin' real juicy now, Counselor"! Or something like that.

I quite liked THE OTHERS and EVENT HORIZON.

When I was a kid, the original BLOB scared me, but then I grew up!
Old October 8th, 2002, 01:56 AM   #57
Regular Crew

How about these???

Watch these alone late at night with the lights out & the volume up, I dare you!

1) Session 9 (shot on Hi-Def too I believe) scary, disturbing & utterly brilliant!

2) Phantasm (the Tall Man) saw it when I was 10 on network TV and didn't sleep for a week.

3) A Nightmare On Elm Street

4) Candyman

5) The Changeling

6) The Exorcist 1 or 3 (ignore part 2 at all costs!)

7) Any of my elementary school productions ;-)
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #58
_redone_

anyone remember the orginial "children of the corn"? i think they made 26
sequels after that but i remember watching this movie when i was young..
man this was disturbing needless to say...not sure how it would be if i watched it now...i might just never see it again, just to retain the authentic
fright from what i remember.
www.eatdrinkmedia.com
Adam Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 06:22 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Anyone ever see "Somthing wicked this way comes"? Jason Robards and those two kids, creepy circus comes to town... Errie, Also, anyone ever play Resident Evil (the Directors cut) on PS1? About 1:30 am, after work.. quiet apartmet... Wife asleep... Boy, look out! Prepare for heart racing! Aslo, the last 1/4 of Jaws II, when that helicopter gets pulled into the ocean! When your a kid, that is terrifying stuff!
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 07:52 PM   #60
Slash Rules!

Resident evil! Whoo Hoo! Also see, Silent Hill, and Resident Evil Zero for Gamecube. I'm sure I will be told this is a movie forum by the next person who answers this thread.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark