The Movie Quote Game - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old August 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #136
Regular Crew

This might help by adding context.
I love the irony of this quote.
The quote is said to admonish #2 for teasing the main character that all yankees are cowboys and gangsters. Yet by chastising #2 in front of the main character he has given the main character a backhanded insult far worse.

Here is more on the discussion of the last quote. Rocky is an excellent movie. I agree with what you about it Christopher, but I wouldn't be so certain about crowning it the best writing or metaphore in a sports movie. I think Bull Durham and Chariots of Fire are just as excellent. In Chariots of Fire Abrahm runs for the gold because when they raise the british flag and play God Save the Queen (or was it King then?) it cannot be denied that he is a proper british subject. That race is not just a metaphor of his life but it is a race for his life. In Bull Durham Crash sums it up nicely at the end but that would be another quote for another time.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #137
Trustee

I'll have to watch Chariots of Fire again - I haven't seen it for at least 20 years!
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #138
Regular Crew

#1: No more jokes. It's not thier fault their yanks.
#2: No it isn't sir.
#1 You should get down on your two knees every night and give thanks to God that your not a yank because if you were, Al Capone himself would be coming to you for instruction.

Is this harder than I thought or is it that the people who play this game are away? It is a movie from within the past 10 years that is set between 1935 to about 1950. It is a story about the worst kind of miserable childhood.
Old August 27th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #139
Regular Crew

"Angela's ashes" maybe ?
Dimitri De Keukelaere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #140
Regular Crew

The movie is based on a Pulitzer prize-winning novel. It was scored by John William's and nominated for best score at the acadamy awards.
Alot of great lines in it.

You got it Dimitri. Your turn!

Last edited by Chris Colin Swanson; August 27th, 2005 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Confirm correct
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #141
Regular Crew

ok here it goes

"It happens sometimes. Friends come in and out of our lives like busboys in a restaurant."
Dimitri De Keukelaere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #142
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri De Keukelaere
ok here it goes

"It happens sometimes. Friends come in and out of our lives like busboys in a restaurant."
Stand By Me.

VERN!!!!
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #143
Trustee

Shoot, I almost said Stand by Me! I love that movie!
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #144
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Shoot, I almost said Stand by Me! I love that movie!
Well, since there's no doubt in my mind, I'll go ahead and give the next one.

"Well... we could go to Taco Bell if that's more your style."

"You callin' me a Taco Bell kind of guy?"
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #145
Trustee

Can I play now? Can I? Huh?....

Hit me right in the forehead with this one...I'm votin' for Coffee and Cigarettes (although I was tempted towards another off-beat flick I saw about 5 years ago but can't remember the name of - so C & C is my vote.)

Every year I try to come out of it having caught one paticularly different, original, off-beat, film that for whatever reason overtly chooses to NOT cater to the dumbing down of the masses - [examples for me have been "The Matrix", "Being John Malkovich", and "Run Lola Run" - runner up's include "Falling Down", "Unforgiven" and "Waiting for Guffman"] and yet this is one that for any number of reasons, I really enjoy-this one may have been it for that year (1 year ago or two escapes me) maybe... It is hard to call it a movie per se as it is broken up into individual scenes (almost like shorts I guess) and some of them just made me think (huh?) but it is clever, fun, amazing cast, (in fact it is a once in a lifetime cast, thoughtful, and absolutely FULL of quotable lines(in fact that is just about all it is)

Pretty sure it is Coffee and Cigarettes
-Jon
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #146
Trustee

Sounds like a Tarantino movie, but I'm sure it isn't...
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #147
Skyonic New York

you beat me to it..it is Coffee and Cigarettes without a doubt i think it was the scene with iggy...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #148
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
Can I play now? Can I? Huh?....

Hit me right in the forehead with this one...I'm votin' for Coffee and Cigarettes (although I was tempted towards another off-beat flick I saw about 5 years ago but can't remember the name of - so C & C is my vote.)

Every year I try to come out of it having caught one paticularly different, original, off-beat, film that for whatever reason overtly chooses to NOT cater to the dumbing down of the masses - [examples for me have been "The Matrix", "Being John Malkovich", and "Run Lola Run" - runner up's include "Falling Down", "Unforgiven" and "Waiting for Guffman"] and yet this is one that for any number of reasons, I really enjoy-this one may have been it for that year (1 year ago or two escapes me) maybe... It is hard to call it a movie per se as it is broken up into individual scenes (almost like shorts I guess) and some of them just made me think (huh?) but it is clever, fun, amazing cast, (in fact it is a once in a lifetime cast, thoughtful, and absolutely FULL of quotable lines(in fact that is just about all it is)

Pretty sure it is Coffee and Cigarettes
-Jon
Yes, good call. Your turn!
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #149
Trustee

Okay, here is a fun one...

"I was wondering if, uh, you can help settle a dispute that my crew and I seem to be having...Um, if you remember, uh, in Quasar Dilemma"..

"Excuse me for a minute, fellas."

"...Haven't even gotten to the relevant conundrum."

There are more quotable lines from the movie, but this was a pretty funny little interaction that effectively sums up the scene.
-Jon
Old August 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #150
Inner Circle

Maybe "Galaxy Quest?"

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark