The Movie Quote Game - Page 59 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #871
Major Player

... Ocean's Twelve? I haven't seen it, but I didn't know if it was the same type of thing.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #872
Trustee

Nah, what I meant by "nice try" was that I could easily imagine the quote being spoken in one of the 'Ocean's' movies, but in any case, you are still way off. There's pretty much no similarity between Ocean's Eleven, or Twelve and the movie I'm quoting from.

Here's a quick hint. The film I quoted from was released in 1979.

I thought this would go really quickly, I'm sure most folks on this thread have seen this movie at least once. But if its not picked up by tomorrow, I'll lay down another quote from it tomorrow afternoon.

Try again.
-Jon
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #873
Major Player

At first I thought it was "the outsiders" but then the year nixed that idea.
Still thinking, maybe one more clue would help.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #874
Obstreperous Rex

Oh, it's a shame that I have to take the throne back so quickly... but we gotta keep this train moving.

Jonathan's quote is from one of the great low-budget cult classics of all time: The Warriors.

The basis for this dialog: very early in the movie. The boys are on their way into the Bronx to attend a gigantic conclave called by Cyrus (can you dig it), president of the biggest gang in the City. In compliance, they're not packing. It's supposed to be a peaceful gathering... but it doesn't turn out that way.

This is a Walter Hill film, which means it's practically Peckinpah. Right up my alley! Back at ya with another quote shortly,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #875
Obstreperous Rex

I just called it the throne... Jonathan called it the conch... it's probably been called lots of things before in this thread, but I propose that from now on we call it The Remote.

Old February 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #876
Major Player

Well At least I was on the right track, Maybe with another clue I would have guessed it, oh well. I haven't seen the warriors in years, I knew it had something to do with a rumble. Alright Chris, you have the mic.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #877
Trustee

Thanks Chris. I had hoped to get back much earlier to lay down another clue, but got REALLY swamped this weekend and wasn't able to get back to the thread.

It was indeed The Warriors and Chris swept that up admirably.

Now that he is once again in possession of The Remote, I anticpate a need for a well tuned thinking cap. I await the next round.
-Jon
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #878
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, took awhile to think of this one... reaching back a ways, from 1980.

First Guy (can't speak due to injury): "Mmmm-mmm!"

Second Guy: "What's he sayin'?"

Third Guy: "He said to tell ya we done it for Dixie and nothin' else."

Sound familiar but can't put your finger on it? More quotes to follow.

Old February 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #879
Trustee

Well, I know I don't know the answer, but just cuz its sitting here, I'm gonna take a quick stab at it, though I know its wrong. I gotta get this ball rollin'.

I'm guessing Southern Comfort. (I know it came out a year after the one you listed - but I had to guess.)

-Jon
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #880
Obstreperous Rex

Ah, Southern Comfort... you're getting warm, because my film starred one of the leads from Southern Comfort (and it wasn't Powers Boothe). If it helps, my film is a period piece. And believe it or not, despite being a period piece, it actually has something in common with The Warriors (and what would that be?).

A Main Character: "My little brother was fifteen years old. Now you think about that... on your way to Hell!"

Old February 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #881
Trustee

Wow, a psychic link because I was originally thinking of Powers Booth when I guessed wrong - weird...In any case, I think you are pretty much giving it away now since most of the other folks in Souther Comfort were transitioning into or out of tv land during the early eighties, and what is left over leaves very little theatrically released period pieces.

Following a logical trail, I can only assume you got to thinking about Walter Hill from my last round.

He made a family film in 1980.....family film in a very different sense of the term. Family members playing family members. (Acting talent from the Keach, Carradine, and Quaid families)

It ain't Peckinpah, but still a great movie in my opinion.

The Long Riders.

-Jon

PS: Regarding your preference for Peckinpah films - Over most of the last two decades, our little town of Healdsburg has played host to an old theater that was refurbished, updated, and named the Raven Theater. The guy behind it has since left the area (I think he now lives in your neck of the woods) and although it is now attached to a smaller adjacent mini-theater film center, the main house is falling severely out of use. (Our town if full of idiots who don't know how to let a business do its thing.) Long story-short, The guy who ran the Raven had a thing for Peckinpah, and about once a year or so, he would run a week-long Peckinpah festival. It was great. On top of that, when pickins' were slim, He'd run The Wild Bunch for a weekend just for kicks.

Good times.

-Jon
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #882
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones
It ain't Peckinpah
It ain't Bad Sam... but it's the next best thing, his protege Walter Hill.

Cool theater story! That I would like to see.

Thanks for saving me the effort of making a point about the unique casting in Long Riders.

It's all yours, Jonathan!

Old February 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #883
Trustee

Okay, so here goes the next round.

This is from a very stylized film that was practically bursting at the seams with high-powered talent.

The following quote is very brief, but comprises the initiating sequence of an infamous (though low-key) scene that involved the much anticipated pairing of two very notable actors. This info practically gives it away, but I'll post the quote anyhow.

Character One: "How you doin?"

(pause)

"Whatdaya say I buy you a cup of coffee?"

Character Two: "Yeah, sure. Let's go."

Character One: "Follow me."
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #884
Major Player

Friends ... the movie.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #885
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle
Friends ... the movie.
I didn't realize they had made a movie version. But I never watched the show so I never kept up on what they're up to.

In any case, Friends it is not. (The movie I am quoting is a one word title though)

Next clue:

The film I quoted from was released in 1995

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark