Tree of Life - Your thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Tourist

Tree of Life - Your thoughts?

Personally I have enjoyed the body of Terrence Malick's work. This is one of the most visually stunning, and ethereal trailers I have seen in a long time. I know Malick's films have the tendency to get a polarized reception, but I would like to see what you all might think of it.

http://youtu.be/WXRYA1dxP_0
Daniel Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tree of Life - Your thoughts?

Looks like a movie I would probably want to see. Visually stunning indeed. Ethereal is good. Not sure I’m so enamored with the narrative, the little I know, but if it turns out to be boring I’ll settle for the eye and ear candy, probably. And if the Trailer is any indication I imagine the editing will be note-worthy also.

Very ‘American’ (not that I’m complaining).

Thanks for the link.

Last edited by John McCully; April 8th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm not a super-fan of Mallick, but I liked The Thin Red Line. Didn't like A New World, found it to be a bit pretentious, but maybe I should give it another chance (didn't see the whole movie too).

I went to see The Tree Of Life and I was very mesmerized by the whole experience. I absolutely hated the final 10 minutes, which I thought felt suddenly very cheap and not by the same director who just had me captivated for 2 hours. But the whole first 2 hours felt really intense.

I went to see it a second time yesterday, and I still disliked the ending (even more), and I was a bit more bothered with the whole Christian message that's a bit poundered on. I'm not religious, but the first time the movie felt more spiritual, the second time it sometimes felt a bit more like propaganda for the Christian faith. That being said: very impressive movie.
Visually sooo nice, very nice sound editing, very well acted by everyone, especially the kids. The scenes with Sean Penn could be better, because they feel very flat, but they are needed for the story.
The whole movie felt more of an experience then a narrative movie, but it was an experience that was impressive.

Ow, and I don't think it's everyone's cup of tea. 10 people or so left in the movie theatre yesterday evening (something I rather have then if they would start talking if they're bored).
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm glad I saw the movie, probably the only time I could have and I'm still thinking about it and googling it once in a while and thats a good thing.
I do think he could have had a better story line and get rid of the dinosaurs. It was pure cinema, maybe more than any other film I know of. The written and spoken word was far less important.

You can love it and hate it at the same time. An adult movie without any questionable or obscene images.
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #5
New Boot

To be honest... I did not like it. Do not get me wrong - the actors did a great job and they will definitely be well received at the Academy Award game for what they achieved with their great acting but what I really did not like was the way the movie made me feel. It was depressing and absolutely oppressive. Brad Pitts character was just tormenting me somehow.
Sara Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark