Disaster survival movies - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 5th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Touching the Void.
I haven't seen it, but it got pretty good comments.
It's a true story about 2 mountain climbers who got in trouble, and the film is kind of a mix between doc and film, because the movie is played out before you, but while that happens, it's being narrated by the 2 survivors.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #17
Air China Pilot

I thought of another one, a superb movie I saw at last year's Vancouver International Film Fest. It is called "Time of the Wolf" by Michael Hanecke. It actually is probably the most appropriate survival film because it focuses in on a middle class (or upper middle class) family who are fleeing Paris ("the city") for some unspecified reason - so closer to what we might experience. They seem well prepared for a few weeks of hiding out in their cabin but when they arrive at their cabin in their SUV in one moment they have lost almost everything. Hanecke focuses on the realistic issues. I think he wanted to show how western people would react to being refugees. Watching the plight of the New Orleans' people now of course you wouldn't need to make that point.

Haneck's 'disaster' is never stated. All we know from the film is that water supply is a problem and people everywhere are killing and burning animals. The real story is how a family tries to stick together, deals with having nothing psychologically, and just struggles to move on while others become predators, exploit other people, or are driven insane. It stars Isabelle Huppert as the mother and leader of the family. Highly recommended.
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Uh, Planet of the Apes...

... and Logan's Run (LMAO ;)
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #19
Regular Crew

The Poseidon Adventure was good when I saw it 20 years ago.

In Airplane I learned how to assume the crash position and not to pick the wrong day to quit ciggarettes, coffee, and sniffing glue.

And lets not forget Monty Python's Meaning of Life. This one is several disaster sketches actually. The fish being eaten, Mr. Creasotes explosion, the Baked Alaskan, and playing rugby against the masters.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Testament

Probably the most realistic portrayal I've seen of the aftermath of a nuclear war in the United States.
Chris Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Touching the Void.
I haven't seen it, but it got pretty good comments.
It's a true story about 2 mountain climbers who got in trouble, and the film is kind of a mix between doc and film, because the movie is played out before you, but while that happens, it's being narrated by the 2 survivors.
I've seen it - it's brilliant.
It is essentially a documentary - it all happened. It's so well done that you can almost feel the agonising pain that those two guys went through. How they got out of that situ, with broken bones etc, is quite amazing.

I recommend it to anyone.

ps. oh one more thing - i think the ending to Planet of the Apes is one of *the* all-time classics. The 1st time you see that film (long time ago for most of us) it is really quite amazing when you realise he's looking at the remains of Statue of Liberty, and has been on Earth the whole time.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #22
Major Player

when the worlds collide

Good movie, but you have to be young, white, attractive, clean and have good manners to go to the new world.

I've got one of those so nailed.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #23
Major Player

another trick I've learned from Star Trek TOS is, whatever happens, STAY CLOSE TO SPOCK!
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark