Split Focus in "Dangerous methods" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 20th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Split Focus in "Dangerous methods"

I just saw David Cronenbergs 'Dangerous Methods'. Lately I've been really watching for focus pulls, and sure enough there about 4 scenes in this movie that must have used some kind of split focus technique. In one particular scene, Keira Knightly (foreground) and Michael Fassbender (about 10 feet behind) are both clearly in focus, while the hair around Knightly's ear is soft. Definitely a split trick of some kind, maybe a blur added to her hair as well. Anybody have any insight?
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Split Focus in "Dangerous methods"

Not having seen the film, but a spilt dioptre is one technique that's used.

Tilt focus lens is another method that can be used, the latter having a receding plane of focus, whereas the spilt dioptre, has two planes and you have to be careful about hiding the join, .
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Split Focus in "Dangerous methods"

I did find this while googling the question;

"Finally, it's also fun to watch Cronenberg and Suschitzky experiment with split-diopter compositions. This is the only film I can think of that makes such extensive use of the technique aside from De Palma. And unlike De Palma, Cronenberg seems to prefer to integrate the two halfs as seamlessly as possible, which I think is so much more effective."

And This:

Cronenberg and his DP have come up with technical experimentation (split-diopters without an out-of-focus section, especially when Jung first treats Spielrein by talking to her from behind, which makes me wonder whether they just spliced together a normal shot with a foreground shot-on-green-screen) that doesn't feel as in-your-face as when Fincher does it in "Social Network" or "Zodiac."

Looking at the shot described above, I had also wondered whether a green screen was used. Regardless, it was a cool shot, and a very good movie.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark