Gene Simmons' Rock School at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Gene Simmons' Rock School

Despite the premise for this program being nothing more than a rehash of "School of Rock," I've seen two episodes on VH1. It's fun to watch kids react to Simmons's larger-than-life persona in a classroom setting. BUT, I find something very annoying. The video is seemingly vertically stretched at random, as if the editors couldn't make decide which aspect ratio to use. I find this very distracting and damaging to what could be an otherwise tolerable reality TV show. If this is intentional, what were they thinking? I sure don't get it.
T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Major Player

I wonder if they shot some at 16 x 9 and most of it at 4 x 3. Some networks will not take 16 x 9 footage, so it's possible they just stretched it. Odd that the network would take that, but stranger things have happened in QC departments.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

A little trivia for you guys. Gene Simmons was actually a 7th grade history teacher before KISS ever existed. So he's not completely out of place standing in front of a classroom full of kids.

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Is this show just a blatant rip-off of "Rock School?" (Not "School of Rock," but the doc about a Philadelphia school for rock musicians.)

http://www.rockschoolthemovie.com

I haven't seen either, but sounds, in legal terms, "confusingly similar."

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #5
Major Player

VERY similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Is this show just a blatant rip-off of "Rock School?" (Not "School of Rock," but the doc about a Philadelphia school for rock musicians.)

http://www.rockschoolthemovie.com

I haven't seen either, but sounds, in legal terms, "confusingly similar."

Kevin
They are very similar, although I haven't watched the whole Rock School movie. The goal of the VH1 show is to get the students polished enough to play as opening act before a Motorhead show.

I wonder whether the movie or the TV show went into production first. They both make the other look unoriginal.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark