DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Avengers! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/507568-avengers.html)

Glen Vandermolen May 6th, 2012 05:56 AM

Avengers!

the Avengers is an awesome, incredible movie. More than a movie, but an event, a cultural phenomenon.
Go see it!

Noa Put May 6th, 2012 09:23 AM

Re: Avengers!

I saw the 3d version because the normal version was not playing at that time, it's the last time I ever will look at 3d,
it was more a distration instead of adding something, it felt I constantly was adjusting my view to adapt to this 3d thing, especially when a character was very close to the screen.
This made it very difficult to realy enjoy the movie. About the avengers; I thought it was bad, definetely not worth the high score on imdb. Not sure if I needed to take it serious or as a joke and it was very predictable and what about a story? there just isn't one, no twists that keep you on the edge of yor seat, just a lot of eyecandy with some childisch funny one-liners.
The only actor I felt was watchable was robert downey jr.
I rather spend ten times the amount on seeing the dark knight again, that's a movie and worth it's equally high imdb score. It at least has a villain without any god like powers that was much more terrifying then Loki.

Glen Vandermolen May 6th, 2012 10:06 AM

Bulls**t. You're wrong, sport.

Noa Put May 6th, 2012 10:45 AM

Just my opinion, sport, no need to be so defensive. Just filter through the negative comments on imdb, there are plenty as well and most exactly explain what I felt was missing. If you liked it, good for you but it was not what I expect from a good movie.

Glen Vandermolen May 6th, 2012 03:22 PM

$200 million the opening weekend says otherwise. That's just in the US.
You are definitely in the minority.

Simon Wood May 6th, 2012 03:36 PM

Well made movie. Enjoyable. Eat popcorn. Drink coke. Put brain into neutral. Nice time had by all. Well, you kind of know what to expect from a summer Blockbuster these days:

1) If you were expecting Michael Bay-ism you will be pleasantly surprised at the maturity of The Avengers, and marvel at just how well made a movie about men in tights having fights can be.
2) If you were expecting Christopher Nolan-ism you will be slightly (but only ever so slightly) disappointed at the lack of realism about men in tights having fights.

So, 2012 is the year of 4K, right? Why I ask? Goddamn that 'lowly' 2K Alexa seems to make incredible images on the big screen. Seemingly there were some 5DMk2 shots in there as well, but I couldn't call them out.

Noa Put May 7th, 2012 02:11 AM

I felt it was more a popcorn rollercoaster ride, close your eyes and enjoy, it has all the standard ingredients to make it a blockbuster, just like any Michael Bay movie. But that's just the kind of movie I hate, very shiny on the outside but hollow inside.
Just to mention one thing that got me annoyed; you see Bruce Banner transforming into the Hulk halfway the movie and chasing Natasha with the only intention to kill her, previous Hulk movies showed that once tranformed it is only pure rage that guides his actions and Banner has absolutely no controll over this, unless when it comes to the girl he loves there is some part that remembers and slows him down. In the Avengers Banner more then once shows his hate towards "that" second person inside of him but yet, at the end, when he is Banner he's able to just transform in a controlled way (in a snap and without a reason) into the Hulk and he saves Iron Man? I mean, what were the script writers thinking? Lets just changes what defines the Hulk and have a cool ending?

Glen Vandermolen May 7th, 2012 05:01 PM

Make that $207 million, and $650 million worldwide.
Epic win!

Noa Put May 7th, 2012 05:24 PM

I bet you are a hugh Michael Bay fan ;)

Glen Vandermolen May 7th, 2012 08:19 PM

Ha ha...nope. Avengers is far and away better than any Bay film. I hope you can at least recognize that.

Noa Put May 7th, 2012 11:51 PM

I don't know, Michael Bay movies have more, bigger and better explosions.

Jay Corcuera May 8th, 2012 12:11 AM

It was a good movie.. Better than I expected and alot better than any transformers movie! God I hate how Michael bay has ruined that franchise!

Warren Kawamoto May 8th, 2012 05:38 PM

My wife and I saw it this past weekend and enjoyed it! Be sure to sit through it, past the credits.

Simon Wood May 9th, 2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1732061)
I don't know, Michael Bay movies have more, bigger and better explosions.

Presumably you are being facetious?

Michael Bay has unfortunately lowered the bar of the Summer Blockbuster with his hollow stye over substance approach. But thats not to say that adults can't enjoy a well directed action movie every now and then. Thankfully, The Avengers is one such movie, that is well directed, witty, has a combination of a good script and good acting (for what it is; we're not in Oscar territory here), good 'chemistry' between the ensemble cast, and so forth. The Avengers appeals to a wide demographic of people; I saw it in Uganda and I have never seen a more riotously happy audience, people laughing out loud (some of Thors one liners went down well, especially the 'adopted' one), and people literally jumping out of their seats and clapping during some of the Hulk scenes towards the end.

This is the type of movie Michael Bay probably wishes he was able to make.

Noa Put May 9th, 2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Presumably you are being facetious?
Had to look that word up and yes I was :)
And sure it had a script, but not a good one, It was one of the most predictable movies I saw the last years, just like any Michael Bay movie.
To accurately describe what I think of the movie simply look here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/reviews?filter=hate as those comments generally sum it up in a way I can't because English is not my native language.
It's simple, or you enjoy it or you don't, I didn't as I expect more then a shiny shell.