Avengers! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Avengers!

the Avengers is an awesome, incredible movie. More than a movie, but an event, a cultural phenomenon.
Go see it!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Avengers!

I saw the 3d version because the normal version was not playing at that time, it's the last time I ever will look at 3d,
it was more a distration instead of adding something, it felt I constantly was adjusting my view to adapt to this 3d thing, especially when a character was very close to the screen.
This made it very difficult to realy enjoy the movie. About the avengers; I thought it was bad, definetely not worth the high score on imdb. Not sure if I needed to take it serious or as a joke and it was very predictable and what about a story? there just isn't one, no twists that keep you on the edge of yor seat, just a lot of eyecandy with some childisch funny one-liners.
The only actor I felt was watchable was robert downey jr.
I rather spend ten times the amount on seeing the dark knight again, that's a movie and worth it's equally high imdb score. It at least has a villain without any god like powers that was much more terrifying then Loki.

Last edited by Noa Put; May 6th, 2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Space Hipster

Bulls**t. You're wrong, sport.
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just my opinion, sport, no need to be so defensive. Just filter through the negative comments on imdb, there are plenty as well and most exactly explain what I felt was missing. If you liked it, good for you but it was not what I expect from a good movie.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Space Hipster

$200 million the opening weekend says otherwise. That's just in the US.
You are definitely in the minority.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Well made movie. Enjoyable. Eat popcorn. Drink coke. Put brain into neutral. Nice time had by all. Well, you kind of know what to expect from a summer Blockbuster these days:

1) If you were expecting Michael Bay-ism you will be pleasantly surprised at the maturity of The Avengers, and marvel at just how well made a movie about men in tights having fights can be.
2) If you were expecting Christopher Nolan-ism you will be slightly (but only ever so slightly) disappointed at the lack of realism about men in tights having fights.

So, 2012 is the year of 4K, right? Why I ask? Goddamn that 'lowly' 2K Alexa seems to make incredible images on the big screen. Seemingly there were some 5DMk2 shots in there as well, but I couldn't call them out.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I felt it was more a popcorn rollercoaster ride, close your eyes and enjoy, it has all the standard ingredients to make it a blockbuster, just like any Michael Bay movie. But that's just the kind of movie I hate, very shiny on the outside but hollow inside.
Just to mention one thing that got me annoyed; you see Bruce Banner transforming into the Hulk halfway the movie and chasing Natasha with the only intention to kill her, previous Hulk movies showed that once tranformed it is only pure rage that guides his actions and Banner has absolutely no controll over this, unless when it comes to the girl he loves there is some part that remembers and slows him down. In the Avengers Banner more then once shows his hate towards "that" second person inside of him but yet, at the end, when he is Banner he's able to just transform in a controlled way (in a snap and without a reason) into the Hulk and he saves Iron Man? I mean, what were the script writers thinking? Lets just changes what defines the Hulk and have a cool ending?
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Space Hipster

Make that $207 million, and $650 million worldwide.
Epic win!
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I bet you are a hugh Michael Bay fan ;)
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Space Hipster

Ha ha...nope. Avengers is far and away better than any Bay film. I hope you can at least recognize that.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I don't know, Michael Bay movies have more, bigger and better explosions.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

It was a good movie.. Better than I expected and alot better than any transformers movie! God I hate how Michael bay has ruined that franchise!
Jay Corcuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Trustee

My wife and I saw it this past weekend and enjoyed it! Be sure to sit through it, past the credits.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I don't know, Michael Bay movies have more, bigger and better explosions.
Presumably you are being facetious?

Michael Bay has unfortunately lowered the bar of the Summer Blockbuster with his hollow stye over substance approach. But thats not to say that adults can't enjoy a well directed action movie every now and then. Thankfully, The Avengers is one such movie, that is well directed, witty, has a combination of a good script and good acting (for what it is; we're not in Oscar territory here), good 'chemistry' between the ensemble cast, and so forth. The Avengers appeals to a wide demographic of people; I saw it in Uganda and I have never seen a more riotously happy audience, people laughing out loud (some of Thors one liners went down well, especially the 'adopted' one), and people literally jumping out of their seats and clapping during some of the Hulk scenes towards the end.

This is the type of movie Michael Bay probably wishes he was able to make.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Presumably you are being facetious?
Had to look that word up and yes I was :)
And sure it had a script, but not a good one, It was one of the most predictable movies I saw the last years, just like any Michael Bay movie.
To accurately describe what I think of the movie simply look here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/reviews?filter=hate as those comments generally sum it up in a way I can't because English is not my native language.
It's simple, or you enjoy it or you don't, I didn't as I expect more then a shiny shell.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark