DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Vanilla Sky (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/50974-vanilla-sky.html)

Justin Kohli September 12th, 2005 07:38 PM

Vanilla Sky

Anyone like this? I have it on DVD, it is one of my few favorite films, and has inspired me. I like Cruise and Cruz so it was a nice fit.

I'm curious of your thoughts on the movie as a movie, and the technical aspect and what you thought of it's production.

Boyd Ostroff September 12th, 2005 07:52 PM

I enjoyed it and thought the plot was clever, but it seemed like Tom Cruise was a strange choice for that part.

OTOH, I finally got around to seeing War of the Worlds last week with my director friend. We were both really impressed with Tom Cruise's performance in that movie.

Justin Kohli September 12th, 2005 08:25 PM

Who might you've preferred in place of Cruise?

Mathieu Ghekiere September 12th, 2005 08:32 PM

Boyd, I liked him in War of the Worlds as well, but the performances which I think are his best are:
in Magnolia as Frank
in Minority Report as John Anderton

I think those two as very, very good performances.

Martin Taidy September 13th, 2005 02:06 AM

I like this a lot too. It's also one of my favorite films. Great acting, great directing and the cinematography is also beautiful.

Mathieu Ghekiere September 13th, 2005 04:38 AM

Most people do say the original movie, Abre Les Ojos, is much better though, much more atmospheric.
(For people who wouldn't know, Vanilla Sky is a remake from a Spanish movie from 1996 or something)

Justin Kohli September 13th, 2005 04:41 AM

Penelope Cruz was in the original actually - and replayed her character in Vanilla Sky. I'm interested in the original movie as well, but I kinda have a hard time paying attention to dubbed films.

Justin Morgan September 13th, 2005 05:11 AM

I avoided this film 'remake' on principle. I have seen the very good original film. It infuriates me the way Hollywood is so devoid of creative ideas of its own that in desperation it will rip-off anything it can get its hands on and then churn out something inferior from the production line (an old tv show remake anyone...?). Why are the majority of Americans so scared of films that have subtitles and don't have Tom Cruise/Hanks as the lead...? Grrr... ;)

Colvin Eccleston September 14th, 2005 04:07 AM

I enjoyed the remake because I saw that first, but it is so weak compared to the Spanish version!

Justin Kohli September 17th, 2005 01:00 AM

Has anyone come across the script to this movie online? All I find is a transcript.

Dylan Johns December 16th, 2005 05:00 AM

the director tried much to hard.

Dave Perry December 16th, 2005 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Morgan
Why are the majority of Americans so scared of films that have subtitles and don't have Tom Cruise/Hanks as the lead...? Grrr... ;)

I personally don't like to read my movies. I miss too much of it that way. If I wanted to read it, I'd get the book (English translation of course).

The other point for me is that I'm also not a very fast reader, so I end up missing a lot of the dialog as well as the imagery.

Jean-Philippe Archibald December 16th, 2005 08:52 AM

I personally loved vanilla sky. Abre Los Ojos, the original movie, was excellent, too. but I enjoyed more the Cameron Crowe's vision of this dream. A side note, Abre Los Ojos, produced in 1997, was written and directed by Alessandro Amenabar, the man who also directed the great "The others" with Nicole Kidman. In 1997, he was 24 years old! He won a lot of awards recently with is last spanish movie, "The sea inside".

Mathieu Ghekiere December 17th, 2005 08:55 AM

I only saw the original one, Abre les Ojos, and I think it started out great, but the ending ruined it all. I won't spoil it for others, but I found it to be completely inapproperiate because of various reasons that I won't say because it would spoil the experience for some. So I don't have much interest in seeing the American remake.
I still think Alessandro Amenabar is very talented, The Others was great and I heard Mar Ardentro was superb too.