DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Kubrick: One-Point Perspective (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/510516-kubrick-one-point-perspective.html)

Chris Hurd September 7th, 2012 07:24 AM

Kubrick: One-Point Perspective

Loads of amazing in just 1 minute 44 seconds.

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 9th, 2012 09:45 PM

Re: Kubrick: One-Point Perspective

Yeah, he dared to place his subjects in the center of the frame when every one else was preaching (and still is) the 1/3rd rule.

And he used zooms like crazy.

And long before Gordon Willis shot The Godfather, he dared to shoot with a couple of candles at f/0.7 with a lens made for NASA.

Love his work. Thanks for sharing!

Simon Wood September 10th, 2012 08:40 AM

I think Kubrick was well aware f how that perspective creates a sense of tension and unease; in nearly all of those scenes he was trying to set a certain mood. But he clearly only used it as means to an end (most of the scenes in most of his movies are not shot like this; only when he wanted to create that sense of dread).

The 1/3 rule works for everything else!

Allan Black October 13th, 2012 03:39 PM

One-Point Perspective says it all, note the hyphen.

kogonada makes interesting stuff, he's bought the one minute production to a fine level.

Cheers.

Brian Drysdale October 15th, 2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran (Post 1752417)
And he used zooms like crazy.

And long before Gordon Willis shot The Godfather, he dared to shoot with a couple of candles at f/0.7 with a lens made for NASA.
!

I wouldn't say Kubrick used zooms like crazy, he tended to use them with a thought out precision. There are quite a few directors in the 1960/70s who zoomed like crazy without any precision.

Barry Lyndon is made after The Godfather, it was released in 1975 as against the latter in 1972. The Godfather is known for its top lighting, rather than candles.

BTW They used special candles with triple wicks on Barry Lyndon.

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 23rd, 2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1758647)
I wouldn't say Kubrick used zooms like crazy, he tended to use them with a thought out precision. There are quite a few directors in the 1960/70s who zoomed like crazy without any precision.

Barry Lyndon is made after The Godfather, it was released in 1975 as against the latter in 1972. The Godfather is known for its top lighting, rather than candles.

BTW They used special candles with triple wicks on Barry Lyndon.

You are right! I have been getting quite a few facts wrong lately. Maybe the quality of the DVD set made it seem 'younger'. I actually love the way he uses zooms.