DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   One Hour Photo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/51245-one-hour-photo.html)

Justin Kohli September 17th, 2005 02:19 AM

One Hour Photo

Anyone dig this? I like Romanek's work on this film and I dig it's creepy vibe and really supportive score. It was so weird seeing Williams in this role but he did it well.

Mathieu Ghekiere September 17th, 2005 10:31 AM

Yes I already have it a while. Williams was great in it, and visually the film was very good.
Music was also very fitting. Only downside was the kind of unoriginal story, but it still is a nice (and to my regret a little bit forgotten) movie.

Justin Kohli September 24th, 2005 05:51 PM

Anyone else? :)

Eric Brown September 27th, 2005 10:57 PM

I went to see this in theaters when it first came out and had to leave as my friends did not wish to continue watching it.
Strangely enough they could not pinpoint exactly why they walked out besides the fact that it moves somewhat slowly. The interesting thing is that they continued to talk about it for at least a half hour afterwards.
I eventually rented it and liked it even more the second time around.
Romanek is one talented guy.
His Director's Label DVD from Palm Pictures just came out with all his music viddies and assorted fun stuff.
He also has a hardcover book out on his music videos.
Very cool. I love his work.

Chris Hurd September 28th, 2005 06:34 AM

Love the art director's comments about William's character's wardrobe, the blandness of the store, etc. It's a very well done movie. My favorite line:

"Leica Mini-Lux! Hey, that's a great camera."

Marco Leavitt September 28th, 2005 01:28 PM

I thought the art direction was fantastic as well. That store was creepy in a very subtle way that still makes me uncomfortable in places like K-mart.

Eric Brown October 4th, 2005 08:15 PM

I think given Romanek's usual shooting and visual style, he exercised considerable restraint. It felt more antiseptic, almost Kubrick-esque.

Peter Wiley October 6th, 2005 08:48 AM

I thought One Hour Photo was a good movie that did not get the attention that it deserved. The story is perhaps not that original, but that misses the point, I think. The key thing about the movie is its tone and point of view. I think it succeeds well in making everyday Wal-Mart (or Cosco, or Target) a very creepy place, creepy because it masks the emotional isolation of the Robin Williams character and highlights the fact that no one who works around him seems to care much about him or for him. The moment that his neediness is the slighest bit exposed (no pun intended) fellow workers and the management begin to turn on him. Because so many people work in environments like this and fear something like it could happen to them, I think it is disquieting for many (and why it might have been a subject of discussion even after walking out on it)

I think, carrying forward the emotional isolation theme, film also makes a strong comment on modern American families. They are so isolated from one another that they can't see what the Robin Williams character can just by looking at their photos.

I love the sequence where Williams nearly tears up (or he may, it's been awhile since I saw the film) looking at the pictures the kid has taken with the disposable camera: a poor soul who has missed contact with the wonders of childhood and who craves it so badly he must, in the end, act to protect it, albeit in an odd way.

Steve House October 9th, 2005 08:40 AM

I really like Williams in his cereer turn into dramatic roles instead of comedy. I think he's showing some mature development that is quite unexpected. I've been very impressed with his roles is both "One Hour Photo" and "The Final Cut."

Mathieu Ghekiere October 9th, 2005 09:30 AM

Steve, was The Final Cut a good movie? I thought it had some bad reviews, although the story looked compelling, and well, Williams is in it :-)