One Hour Photo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 17th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

One Hour Photo

Anyone dig this? I like Romanek's work on this film and I dig it's creepy vibe and really supportive score. It was so weird seeing Williams in this role but he did it well.
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes I already have it a while. Williams was great in it, and visually the film was very good.
Music was also very fitting. Only downside was the kind of unoriginal story, but it still is a nice (and to my regret a little bit forgotten) movie.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Anyone else? :)
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I went to see this in theaters when it first came out and had to leave as my friends did not wish to continue watching it.
Strangely enough they could not pinpoint exactly why they walked out besides the fact that it moves somewhat slowly. The interesting thing is that they continued to talk about it for at least a half hour afterwards.
I eventually rented it and liked it even more the second time around.
Romanek is one talented guy.
His Director's Label DVD from Palm Pictures just came out with all his music viddies and assorted fun stuff.
He also has a hardcover book out on his music videos.
Very cool. I love his work.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Love the art director's comments about William's character's wardrobe, the blandness of the store, etc. It's a very well done movie. My favorite line:

"Leica Mini-Lux! Hey, that's a great camera."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I thought the art direction was fantastic as well. That store was creepy in a very subtle way that still makes me uncomfortable in places like K-mart.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Major Player

I think given Romanek's usual shooting and visual style, he exercised considerable restraint. It felt more antiseptic, almost Kubrick-esque.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Major Player

I thought One Hour Photo was a good movie that did not get the attention that it deserved. The story is perhaps not that original, but that misses the point, I think. The key thing about the movie is its tone and point of view. I think it succeeds well in making everyday Wal-Mart (or Cosco, or Target) a very creepy place, creepy because it masks the emotional isolation of the Robin Williams character and highlights the fact that no one who works around him seems to care much about him or for him. The moment that his neediness is the slighest bit exposed (no pun intended) fellow workers and the management begin to turn on him. Because so many people work in environments like this and fear something like it could happen to them, I think it is disquieting for many (and why it might have been a subject of discussion even after walking out on it)

I think, carrying forward the emotional isolation theme, film also makes a strong comment on modern American families. They are so isolated from one another that they can't see what the Robin Williams character can just by looking at their photos.

I love the sequence where Williams nearly tears up (or he may, it's been awhile since I saw the film) looking at the pictures the kid has taken with the disposable camera: a poor soul who has missed contact with the wonders of childhood and who craves it so badly he must, in the end, act to protect it, albeit in an odd way.

Last edited by Peter Wiley; October 6th, 2005 at 08:58 AM. Reason: thought of something else
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I really like Williams in his cereer turn into dramatic roles instead of comedy. I think he's showing some mature development that is quite unexpected. I've been very impressed with his roles is both "One Hour Photo" and "The Final Cut."
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Steve, was The Final Cut a good movie? I thought it had some bad reviews, although the story looked compelling, and well, Williams is in it :-)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark