Mad Hot Ballroom - awful quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mad Hot Ballroom - awful quality

I just returned from the movie theatre & I hate to say it but the DVX100 looked terrible on the big screen.

The story was pretty good but much more suited for a 30 minute show on PBS not a feature length doc.

Not sure what went wrong, the colors were washed out, the focus was very bad at times. The depth of field had a very odd look, everything was slightly out of focus at times & everything in focus at other times. Only the closeups of dialogue looked good.

Having seen November & Murderball in the last month, I was very dissapointed with this one.
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Just got this from Netflix the other night and I thought this film was excellent.

I'm sure that seeing it on the big screen magnifies the limitations of it being shot on DV, but at home on my 30" set--it looked just fine. [The DVD is enhanced widescreen]

Besides, the story itself was too compelling to nitpick about the camera. It was so much fun to see these New York kids learning to dance and then compete. It is a really good time and very funny.

The DVX-100 doesn't have native 16:9--so I wonder if they shot this with a anamorphic lens--or just cropped the 4:3 frame? At times, it did look like everything was a bit too tight.

I also thought for sure they utilized the Steadicam--but from what I understand in an article in "Videography" that it might be a safety issue with the rig around kids and the distraction/intimidation factor.

But with that nice handle on top of the DVX---they got some really nice camera moves around the kids dancing that were as good as a steadicam.

Fun stuff. Check it out!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I thought it looked pretty good for a run and gun type production. Some parts were pretty ugly, but it looked to be all natural lighting. If you were to light a scene very carefully with this camera, I'll bet it would blow up to film pretty good.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Major Player

I just watched this film last night on my new Sony KDF-E55A20 LCD projection HDTV (awsome!), and I thought it looked quite good, for the most part. As John C. pointed out, its really playing grinch to nitpik a doc that has this much heart. But I suppose it is possible that a film print could look worse than a dvd. However, my dvd player, DVP-NS70H, does up-rez the dvd to 720, and that is an advantage over a standard definition player.

Wayne

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #5
Trustee

I just watched this. The indoor color was horrible at times; it looked like it wasn't white balanced properly.

Also, in spots the focus was soft and sound out of synch.

However, the outside shooting looked very good w/ nice colors, perfect pans and clear sound.

Great story, cute kids, wonderful heart, just some really poor indoor color.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark