Gravity - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:02 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
... Honestly it was quite enjoyable, but the spell was broken for me in several places. I don't think this counts as a spoiler, but the idea that an astronaut in an EVA suit can just swim from the Hubble space telescope to the ISS and then hop a Soyuz over to a Chinese space station, as if they're all in the same local orbital neighborhood, was pretty discouraging.

Hubble and the ISS are in completely different orbital planes at completely different altitudes... you can't get there from here, as they say, and not with any spacecraft yet made, either....
You are ruining a great fantasy with way too much reality.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:42 AM   #17
Trustee

Don't think the film was THAT great to be honest. Highly over rated. My taste in movies are ones with a lot of interesting dialogue ... Scorsese, Tarantino, Danny Boyle films etc.

I watched Gravity in 3D at the cinema, enjoyed the experience. But certainly has no replay value when it's out on DVD, Bluray, TV etc ...

Won't have the same hypnotic/surreal effect with a home viewing.

Some films are made to be watched in the cinema and thats it. And this was one of them ...
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
D'oh! On the other hand, I totally loved The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 10:26 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
It's full circle back to "suspension of disbelief." That threshold will vary from one person to the next. I don't begrudge those who enjoyed the film. The story just didn't work for me as it was a continuous string of failure of SoD, despite the sophisticated visual effects.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark