DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Gravity (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/519340-gravity.html)

Al Bergstein October 6th, 2013 12:32 AM

Gravity

Superb. 3d is everywhere yet totally convincing.an amazingly good film.

Don Bloom October 6th, 2013 05:38 AM

Re: Gravity

+1. Saw it yesterday and I must say that not only was it an excellent film but having Sandra Bullock in a pair of short shorts didn't hurt! ;-)

Matt Sharp October 7th, 2013 05:15 PM

Gravity is great, I commented about it a while back but I'll say it again. For being shot in 2D the 3D is excellent. There were a few shots in the Soyuz that had great depth, with detailed 3D switch panels in the foreground and Sandra in the background

Don Bloom October 7th, 2013 05:37 PM

I read somewhere that the first 13 minute opening was done as 1 long take. Wow to all involved on that one.

Evan Bourcier October 16th, 2013 09:55 AM

The first 13ish minutes appears as one shot in the movie, but is definitely a couple shots composited together. They pan around to just the earth and stuff at points, which allows them to pan back to other practical shots.

Movie is amazing. Say what you will about the story, I've never been so thoroughly engrossed in a movie ever. Totally immersive. Despite all the 3D and CG, I never questioned it. IMAX 3d is definitely the way to see it too.

Robert Benda October 16th, 2013 12:21 PM

Some of the dialogue is pretty forced and hokey, but overall, I really liked it. A movie like this avoids enough cliches that it feels fresh.

I read an article where the writer/director pointed out the studio wanted him to cut back and forth with mission control so they could have a countdown clock; and other bad notes you'd expect. Avoiding those cheap expectations was exactly why I thought the movie was enjoyable. Plus, 90 minutes long didn't hurt either.

Duane Adam October 27th, 2013 07:00 PM

Saw it today in 3D and walked out of the theater feeling like I'd just been to space. Spectacular step forward in film making and easily the most absorbing and realistic space movie I've seen.

Allan Black October 27th, 2013 10:56 PM

Yes excellent, and good timing right on the heels of Mars Curiosity. 3D is coming of age.

At 91 minutes, it seemed to me that it's been edited down, because there's someone credited with 'Greenland Casting', what's that about.
Maybe she landed in a lake in Greenland and some kids found her.

Cheers.

Pete Bauer October 27th, 2013 11:09 PM

I finally gave in and went to see it this weekend. Got what I expected: Fancy visual effects and 91 minutes of a failure of "suspension of disbelief" with painfully cliché dialog to top it off.

But I have to cut it some slack. As a proponent of human space flight, I'm "go" with anything that captures the imagination of the public, even if it has to be (gag) George Clooney clowning around during a major DTO (Detailed Test Objective).

It would seem that most folks not involved in a space-faring program liked this film in the same way I can enjoy the over-the-top stunts in Die Hard or Mission Impossible movies, like most of my colleagues. I'm aware that the filmmaker just shrugged when inaccuracies were mentioned and reminded everyone it is just a work of fiction. True enough, and that's good enough for most.

But walking into the theater KNOWING that the movie was just a series of improbable circumstances, impossible tasks, and inaccurately modeled physical environments surrounding a crew obviously not disciplined and trained enough -- or even acquainted enough with each other -- to be deemed ready to fly left me steadily counting the ongoing stream of errors until I just quit bothering.

I agree with Matt. They did a great job integrating 3D into the film, making it useful and not obtrusive. But for me, it's a one-time view.

Jacques Mersereau October 28th, 2013 02:09 PM

I have to agree with Pete. I know I am supposed to suspend my disbelief, but did 'they' have to have the scene where Sandra is holding onto Clooney for dear life? WHY did they have to go there and get this SO WRONG? It was BEYOND CLICHE - the 'hanging by a thread' is in almost every action movie - er, IT IS IN EVERY ACTION MOVIE - Come on, it's space. Once stopped, the slightest pull and he'd have been back. The rest, though very far fetched, my disbelief could at least almost stomach.

Duane Adam October 28th, 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 1818334)
I finally gave in and went to see it this weekend. Got what I expected: Fancy visual effects and 91 minutes of a failure of "suspension of disbelief" with painfully cliché dialog to top it off.

But I have to cut it some slack. As a proponent of human space flight, I'm "go" with anything that captures the imagination of the public, even if it has to be (gag) George Clooney clowning around during a major DTO (Detailed Test Objective).

It would seem that most folks not involved in a space-faring program liked this film in the same way I can enjoy the over-the-top stunts in Die Hard or Mission Impossible movies, like most of my colleagues. I'm aware that the filmmaker just shrugged when inaccuracies were mentioned and reminded everyone it is just a work of fiction. True enough, and that's good enough for most.

But walking into the theater KNOWING that the movie was just a series of improbable circumstances, impossible tasks, and inaccurately modeled physical environments surrounding a crew obviously not disciplined and trained enough -- or even acquainted enough with each other -- to be deemed ready to fly left me steadily counting the ongoing stream of errors until I just quit bothering.

I agree with Matt. They did a great job integrating 3D into the film, making it useful and not obtrusive. But for me, it's a one-time view.

Interesting take on this. I'm not a fan of George Clooney and thought Sandra Bullock could have been mis cast, but honestly they could have put Adam Sandler up there and gotten ALL of the details wrong and I still would have loved it. Why? because it visually transports the viewer to space in a way that no other motion picture ever has. That's the breakthrough, not the predictable story or engineering details. I'll side with Cameron who called it the best space movie ever made.

Noa Put October 28th, 2013 05:54 PM

I"m going Thursday to see it, already have my 3d glasses on, I"m that exited.

Pete Bauer October 28th, 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1818427)
I'll side with Cameron who called it the best space movie ever made.

To each his own. My allegiance for that honor remains with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Sam James February 12th, 2014 11:08 PM

Can't wait to finally see this in 3D!

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2014 06:05 PM

I'm with Pete as well on this one. Honestly it was quite enjoyable, but the spell was broken for me in several places. I don't think this counts as a spoiler, but the idea that an astronaut in an EVA suit can just swim from the Hubble space telescope to the ISS and then hop a Soyuz over to a Chinese space station, as if they're all in the same local orbital neighborhood, was pretty discouraging.

Hubble and the ISS are in completely different orbital planes at completely different altitudes... you can't get there from here, as they say, and not with any spacecraft yet made, either. But congrats to the production team for the astonishing visuals. I too thought it looked great in 3D. It's probably the second-best 3D feature I've seen, after Hugo.