Interstellar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old November 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Interstellar

Wow, just wow. Came out of the cinema lost for words, couldn't even discuss the film with the people I saw it with as there was so much to talk about.

Just reading up on it via IMDB.

Any one else watch this? If not, please PLEASE PLEASE go watch it. This film blew my mind. Christopher Nolan and his team ALWAYS deliver.

The cinematography, the story, the acting ... PERFECT.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Interstellar

Meh. Just watched it today. Not nearly as impressed as you are.

Nolan seriously needs to find something other than the concept of recursion to make a film about. It's getting old Chris. Old.

Just from a cinematography standpoint, the sound design completely sucked. I understand that Noland himself is responsible; he spent six months making it sound this way -- way loud, and with obscured dialog. In interviews he says he did this on purpose, to make it "more immersive". Again, meh. If I want a ride I can go to a theme park. What I want is for him to tell a story, and his crappy sound design got in the way of his telling the story. And as far as immersive goes, his crappy sound design pulled me out of my "suspension of disbelief" and made me listen to just how bad the sound was. And that's a fail for any film maker, including Nolan.

Finally, he was pretty heavy handed with the 2001 references. And there were a lot of them. A lot. And not subtle.

I'll give at a 6/10. "Big Hero 6" is a better film. It tells a more interesting story, and it even deals with recursion better. But the far better film in this category is last year's "Gravity", despite its problematic grasp of orbital mechanics. Because it did a better job of telling its story.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Wow, just wow. Came out of the cinema lost for words, couldn't even discuss the film with the people I saw it with as there was so much to talk about.

Just reading up on it via IMDB.

Any one else watch this? If not, please PLEASE PLEASE go watch it. This film blew my mind. Christopher Nolan and his team ALWAYS deliver.

The cinematography, the story, the acting ... PERFECT.
Agreed. Every aspect of it blew my mind. Movie of the year for sure. Just stunning.. and I expected nothing less from a Nolan film.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Trustee

My wife and I watched it and thought it was really good. After seeing "True Detective" I developed a new respect for Matthew McConaughey as an actor. I thought the acting by the cast was pretty strong along with some stunning visuals.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Matthew McConaughey is one of my favourite actors, I thought he was very impressive in Killer Joe and Dallas buyers club, I still need to go and see Interstellar though.

Last edited by Noa Put; November 29th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Noa, you will be in for a treat.

This film nearly made me cry like a baby. I'm thinking of watching it in IMAX before it reaches Bluray.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Seen it yesterday and have some mixed feelings about it, I enjoyed the few action scenes and the pondering musictrack that went along with it, which needed some getting used to , I enjoyed the visuals as I love science fiction films but the story was somewhat silly and that was what annoyed me the most. And what the hell was Matt Damon doing in there.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Trustee

What did you find silly about the story?

I thought that was the best part !

It's one of those stories that make you think even after the film has finished.

I've read up on it via IMDB, some have even made full blown timeline's like this:

http://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU.jpg
Old December 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I was pretty pleased with the film till the 3rd act. At that point I went into "WTF were they thinking" mode.

More than the story issues my main complaint with the film was the use of extreme audio DR. I'm OK with something loud happening like an explosion but to play the score at that level for MINUTES at a time borders on abusive. For me at least since I still have decent hearing for my age.

Overall I would give it 3 of 5 stars. I took off a star for the story FAIL in the 3rd act and another star for making my ears ring for the rest of the afternoon.
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Just from a cinematography standpoint, the sound design completely sucked. I understand that Noland himself is responsible; he spent six months making it sound this way -- way loud, and with obscured dialog. In interviews he says he did this on purpose, to make it "more immersive". Again, meh. If I want a ride I can go to a theme park. What I want is for him to tell a story, and his crappy sound design got in the way of his telling the story. And as far as immersive goes, his crappy sound design pulled me out of my "suspension of disbelief" and made me listen to just how bad the sound was. And that's a fail for any film maker, including Nolan.
Perhaps we heard it in two very different theaters as I came away thinking the soundtrack was superb. While there were a few brief moments when the music track obscured the dialogue, they were few and far between and to imply the viewer may not be able to understand the script is misleading. The dynamic range was huge and strategically used more than once to catch the listener off guard, the use of silence was brilliant, sound effects, particularly in outer space were great. Hard to call the soundtrack a fail in the theater I saw it in.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark