King Kong 1932 on dvd nov 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 31st, 2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Major Player

King Kong 1932 on dvd nov 22

There are a bunch of different options.
see here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
There are a bunch of different options.
see here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

I'm really surprised how long it took for this film to make it to DVD.

I still have my Criterion Collection Laser Disc of "King Kong" from waaay back, with includes a terrific audio commentary track by Ronald Haver. The LD includes the cut scenes of King Kong eating one of the villagers and the one of him dropping a woman head first from a building after grabbing her out of the apartment building.

I'm also surprised they chose to release this film so close to the Peter Jackson remake---they are going to be comparisons I would think.

The original is pretty hard to top.

I'm really curious how good the 3 hour remake is going to be...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Trustee

if you ask around your non-film fanatic fans, it's hard for them to say, "Yes, I have seen the '33 version of King Kong." most of them only remember the '76 version. it's kinda sad that it's a commentary on how modern life has transformed the younger generation to be totally and completely ignorant of great black&white films. there are many friends of mine that won't touch black&white, just because it is black&white.
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

I remember my mother telling me about seeing King Kong when it first came out and she was in high school. She was living in a small town in Southern Illinois and it was a huge event. She said it scared them all to death.

When I was in grad school at Carnegie Mellon in 1972 one of the guys who worked on the stop motion animation for King Kong visited and showed us photos of the armatures used in the animation and told us lots of stories. Really cool stuff. At that time he had just finished making "return of the blob" with Godfrey Cambridge. He said they used Jello for the blob!

He also showed us a commercial he had just made for some kind of floor wax. It showed a kitchen which was ruined in a flood, and how the floor wax brought the shine back to the floor. But in reality, they filmed the "after" scene first and then they trashed it by flooding it, which was the "before" scene in the commercial...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #5
New Boot

One of the greatest movies ever made. Ever. The 1933 edition of course. I love this film, have an out of print collecters edition VHS copy and have been patiently waiting for this films to arrive on DVD. Thank you Peter Jackson, if for nothing else, then for being the reason they finally released this on DVD.
Patrick Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
if you ask around your non-film fanatic fans, it's hard for them to say, "Yes, I have seen the '33 version of King Kong." most of them only remember the '76 version. it's kinda sad that it's a commentary on how modern life has transformed the younger generation to be totally and completely ignorant of great black&white films. there are many friends of mine that won't touch black&white, just because it is black&white.
Never really did saw all of the '76 remake, but Jessica Lange was pretty hot in it.[And to have King Kong in a gorilla suit was pretty ridiculous.]

Films are a product of the times they were made in--some times, they really don't age well and the pacing of older films can turn off kids/people used to today's modern amazing effects and MTV style fast editing and cuts.
Some humor just don't play well today.

If the first film you've seen was "Jurassic Park", then the original "King Kong" just might not impress you.

For me, I have fond memories of seeing the original on TV as a kid and I still enjoy some of the over the top/corny/campy performances of the original "King Kong" and marvel at what they achieved way back in the 30's.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Trustee

john,

that is true, but does this mean if that if the first book i read was lord of the rings, then i wouldn't be impressed with Homer's Odyssey? not neccessarily. i think the viewer of any visual medium should always be sensitive of the context of the visual medium. you can't judge renaissance painting using postmodern standards (if there is one).

film/tv/music is moderately displacing many of the traditional educational venues of classic studies. but if you show them the classics and help them appreciate it, i think it can turn around quickly. it's all about education, which is what some of the classic film/tv/music has become.
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Major Player

I really can't imagine how anyone could find jurrasic park more entertaining than the original Kong. Kong is nonstop excitement. JP is so boring that it has to resort to child endagerment- the cheapest trick in all of film as far as I'm concerned- to bump up the drama. When i left the theatre after seeing it for the first time I felt cheated. I didn't think there were enough dinosaurs, at all. JP II and JPIII were even more lame. Kong was about the island, the adventure, kong and the dinosaurs, sure there was a love interest, but it ewas a plot in parralell to the Kong plot- and the two plots fold into one relatively early in the film. The JP movies are family dramas with Dinosaurs in the background. ick. JPIII is a distilation of what is wrong with these films. You have an island full of dinosaurs, and the movie revolves around a the divorce/reconcilliation of a suburban middleclass couple. What?
If I were to compare Kong to any "modern" film, I would have to say that Raiders is probably the only one that holds up for sheer adventure/action content.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I really can't imagine how anyone could find jurrasic park more entertaining than the original Kong. Kong is nonstop excitement.
I can, I really appriciate both! I can't wait to see what Peter Jackson cpmes up with!

Cheers!

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #10
New Boot

I have to admit, I am excited as well about the Jackson remake. And for the most part, I HATE remakes. I hated hated hated the Dawn of The Dead remake, didn't even bother with Assault on Precinct 13, wasn't even a big fan of Scorcese's remake of Cape Fear and many more I can name (not always true- I know there has to be at least one remake I liked). But Jackson really proved himself with Lord Of The Rings and he seems to be as big a fan as any of us of King Kong (the original 1933 version) so I think he may be able to pull this off. I hope so anyway. As far as Jessica Lange goes, I will concede that she was gorgeous (and still is) but God, Fay Wray was hot as well (I am thinking of the scene where she drops from the vine into the lagoon and she surfaces and the dress is falling off her very shapely shoulders... I am going to need a moment here :) just kidding).
I personally did like Jurassic Park (wasn't such a big fan of the sequels though I did like -sacrilege!- III better than II).
Patrick Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Well I'm not a Jackson fan. I liked Fellowship, but found the other two movies to be nearly unbearable- and as much as I liked fellowship, I really DID want to like the the two towers and return. The hamfisted color correction in return of the king made it almost impossible for me to sit through. I understand why it was done, but for me it didn't work. I believe the cheif strength of these movies is in the design, effects, and performances. The direction seems very staid to me.
Remaking Kong or a movie like Gone with the Wind for instance, is like covering a beatles song, you might do a good job, but it's still a beatles song.
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
The hamfisted color correction in return of the king made it almost impossible for me to sit through. I understand why it was done, but for me it didn't work.
Could you explain what you mean here please. Do you mean you thought it was too stylised?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan
Could you explain what you mean here please. Do you mean you thought it was too stylised?
Yeah, I thought that everthing was way too brown and washed out looking. I understand the reason for it, the springtime of the world is over, autunm has come ect... but for me it just seemed overdone. Way overdone. it made me tired to watch it. Many will/do disagree, and that's fine. I wish it didn't bother me as much as it does. I have other issues with these movies as well, but that's for another thread I suppose.

ps: I am unreasonably picky.
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Contrary to popular opinion I thought ROTK was definitely the weakest of the three movies (although I had no problems with the colour correction). It was just a big battle (which PJ had done much more dramatically at the end of Two Towers) - the army of the dead was handled particularly poorly I thought. Very anti-climactic - unlike the book.

However, they are still superb and a fantastic cinematic achievement!

I'm fairly sure PJ will do a decent job with Kong. The original is a masterpiece but is quite dated. Jackson has such a love of the original that hopefully he will retain the heart and soul of the piece but give it an update for modern audiences (who are put off by black & white let alone old-style acting and special effects). I'm certain he won't make the mistake of the terrible 1970s 'remake' which stripped out the story and heart & soul and replaced it with special effects and nothing else.

Last edited by Justin Morgan; November 15th, 2005 at 06:07 AM.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #15
Major Player

I Am A Heritic!

I much prefer models and stop-motion to cgi. When cgi first appeard I was really impressed with it, but all in all it still looks fake to me- especially creatures, the oliphants from rotk are a good example I geuss . Some have argued with me that it looks more realistic- as in less fake, but fake is like pregnant A little fake is still fake. So effects wize it all comes down to which fake you prefer, it's all subjective.
I also like Black and White every bit as much as color.
I've seen stills of Kong from PJ's effort, and my one complain is he looks just like a gorrila. Kong shouldn't look just like a gorrila he should look like Kong.

if people enjoy it, good for them, though. I'm not certain I will see it in the theatre, but I will probably watch it at some point. The three hour run time worries me, though.
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark