King Kong at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old December 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

King Kong

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this yet. This movie is unbelievable. It is absolutely breathtaking. It is so grand, it's as epic and ambitious as all three Lord of the Rings. It was one of the very few times in the theater that I was completely taken in by the world presented to me. I forgot that my life existed for three hours yesterday. What an experience! It is so well done and the visual effects are the best to date in history. I can't get over it. Anyone else feel the same?
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Someone should have said "no" to half the movie.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually I didn't hink it was too long, maybe just about 15 min or so. What I thought was bad was some o fth CGI of the dinosaurs. The ape was amazing, but some of the dinosaurs look BAD like they were running in front of a screen. Amazingly Jurrasic Park still looks the best for any dinosaur movie thus far. Otherwise Kong was entertaining. Sort of a sad commentary that we generally take what we want and do whatever we want with it without thinking of the consequences.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I loved it. One of the best action movies ever. It's world wide gross is $146M in the first 5 days.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Sort of a sad commentary that we generally take what we want and do whatever we want with it without thinking of the consequences.
Like remaking classic movies? ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

and a sluggish opening weekend... down from expectations.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Like remaking classic movies? ;-)
Exactly...LOL
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
and a sluggish opening weekend... down from expectations.
I doubt it wil touch Titanic... Thhis is not a girly film..
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #9
Wrangler

Kong Opens Shy of Blockbuster Standards

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051218/box_office.html?.v=5

Quote:
Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong" did out-gross the opening weekend of his "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," the first of his J.R.R. Tolkien fantasy trilogy that debuted with $47.2 million. But factoring in a 12 percent rise in admission prices since that 2001 film's release, "King Kong" sold about 7.9 million tickets, 450,000 fewer than "Fellowship of the Ring."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Three hours was no problem for me... I could have sat there longer. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that made me feel as tickled as a kid.

Notice the overhead view of the broken bi-plane spiraling down toward 1930s Manhattan? Amazing how unbelievably realistic CGI has become.
Old December 19th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Jackson's remake is amazing, he didn't ruin it. I went opening night, and 2.5 hours into it, right when Kong bursts out of the theatre, the projector screwed up... So we got free passes and I went again the next night. I didn't mind though, cause it's so good. I didn't find it long at all, it went by fairly quickly if you ask me. Not one dull moment. 5 out of 5.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #12
ChorizoSmells

We were all gonna see it last night but we put it off till next week, plus I want to finish seeing the original 1933 version first before I see it. Gonna get some burgers and beer and enjoy them in the theater, maybe we'll even bring in some pizza.

Thing I like about the theaters here is they sell beer and you can bring in your own food.
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Saw the film last night and loved it. It looked like Jackson wanted to take each part a few steps further, like the Kong verses T-Rex (or V-Rex as they seem to be called according to the merchandising) fight was not what I was expecting, and was much better actually.

One thing I noticed, is that in every scene with the natives, it was raining.
James Llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Sanchez
Gonna get some burgers and beer and enjoy them in the theater, maybe we'll even bring in some pizza.

Thing I like about the theaters here is they sell beer and you can bring in your own food.
Man, I'm moving to Japan!

Mike
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #15
Wrangler

It is one of the best and most fun movies I've seen in years, a good all around fun time at the movies. Definitely agree, about the being a kid again comment. The movie had a little of everything, with just enough teasing and follow through to be satisfying. Peter Jackson had a good time filling in extra steps to each scene. I loved the way he'd show you something creep/scary, then just keep finding ways to let it keep getting it closer and closer to the characters. He did that through out the whole film.

Just saw it twice in two days, cuz my friends can't get their butts gear. Interestingly, it felt shorter the second time I saw it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark