DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   DVD movies-getting stale!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/57501-dvd-movies-getting-stale.html)

Saturnin Kondratiew January 5th, 2006 12:31 AM

DVD movies-getting stale!!!

Ok, early on when the DVD media came out, there was ton of talk about how they will put all these fun things on DVDs, differnet angles, that u can make your own edit of the film etc etc. OK, early on this kinda happend with Se7en....

...and it ended, they have abandoned the DVD medium for a boring and formulaic features.

FF few years to the present, the current trend of DVDs is really bloody annoying, i'm not sure if many of u feel the same way as i do, but i am so dissapointed in what the studios are doing. Almost every bloody movie that comes out on DVD is the "uncensored" , "uncorked" , "un-bloody beliveably un-original". All these movies have nothing bloody to offer, "uncesored" doesnt mean crap no more, it has lost its magic. Do u know what it means when u see "uncensored" on the dvd box? It means that the bloody crap that wasnt good enough to be shown in the theater or cut for lenght has now been included. It has nothing to do with more story that adds to the overall film or violence, sex, etc. The "uncensored" has turned into nothing more then a marketing ploy to sell more copies of a particular film.

Discuss.....

Keith Loh January 5th, 2006 10:50 AM

I've never seen 'special' or 'super extendo' editions as a selling point. (Okay, maybe once with the "Lord of the Rings" movies.) All I care about is that the transfer from film looks good and the sound. All I want to do is be able to see again the movie that I fell in love with in the theatres. In the theatres do I regret that I can't edit the movie or see the other angles or hear the director's commentary? No. To me that adds nothing to the central experience: a good story, good direction, a world to be transported to.

Michael Gibbons January 5th, 2006 12:05 PM

I'm pretty much with Keith on this. I may even go a bit further, most of the movies I see are on DVD these days, and I'm slowly realizing that I prefer to view a movie at home despite the difference in screen size. Especially some of the really long ones that have been coming out lately.

Matt Brabender January 5th, 2006 09:35 PM

The only thing that frustrates me with dvd's is alot of them deliver the special features, or 'the making of' pieces in 4:3.
Why not 16:9? aargh!

Jeff Miller January 6th, 2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Brabender
The only thing that frustrates me with dvd's is alot of them deliver the special features, or 'the making of' pieces in 4:3.

Interesting niggle since I just finished an edit of a "Making of" that I shot. Even though I had an XL2 for half of the project, I shot the majority in 4:3, since the four other cameras I used don't have 16:9 (or it is software 16:9). Faking everything into 16:9 might have worked but seemed like a lot of work for something 200 hours long that is only borderline theatrical.

Cinematography-wise, I also feared that if I put the XL2 into 16:9, it would outperform the four year old video camera used for principal photography, and something about the making-of looking better then the feature seems wierd to me. I also assumed the audience wouldn't care about the ratio of a featurette, informative to know that they do!

Boyd Ostroff January 6th, 2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
I assumed the audience wouldn't care about the ratio of a featurette, informative to know that they do!

Well this is a pet peeve of mine also. If you watch on a widescreen TV then it's an annoyance because you'll need to change the TV setting from full screen to 4:3.

In my (modest) DVD collection I always buy the widescreen editions. Of all these disks, I think the Star Wars original trilogy is the only one that has the documentary in 16:9.

Christopher Lefchik January 6th, 2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Brabender

I agree. This is also an annoyance of mine with the making of/special features on DVDs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If you watch on a widescreen TV then it's an annoyance because you'll need to change the TV setting from full screen to 4:3.

It's annoying with our 4:3 HD television because we have to switch out of the special 16:9 anamorphic setting our television has. I wish they produced the DVDs with one aspect ratio throughout the disk.

K. Forman January 7th, 2006 06:12 AM

I love DVDs, but my biggest annoyance, is the way they feel the need to release 2,3, or more versions. C'mon Hollywood... Do it once, and do it righteous the first time.

James Llewellyn January 7th, 2006 03:47 PM

This is why I never grab the first dvd release of a movie right away. I wait it out to see or hear of any news of a director's cut (like what right now waiting on the DC of Kingdom of Heaven that was announced months ago, and is now being shown in LA in a few theaters.), or some extended or 3 disk edition with extras commentaries and what not to keep me occupied.

K. Forman January 7th, 2006 04:13 PM

I usually just grab the first one, which is usually also the cheapest. Screw 'em, they won't get anymore of my cash! Hahahahaha... Sorry, I got carried away ;)

Mike Teutsch January 7th, 2006 04:36 PM

I may be in the minority, but!

When I rent or buy a DVD, I want to see the movie that was presented at the theater if I had gone there. No commercials, no editors cut, no extra scenes, no alternate views, and no changes! Show me the movie you decided to release to the public, that is what you will be remembered for! No changing it now!

Mike

Alexander Benesch January 8th, 2006 05:29 PM

Yep, I had my fun with the "Special Collector's 4-Disc Edition" of Titanic; on the entire 3rd Disc you only find the Deleted Scenes and the parodies.

One part of my brain thought for a moment I had bought a misprint.
I had already learned before I bought the set that I won't be getting the promised all-out making-of documentary, but that day I really cursed the studios.

To be fair, DVD raised the expectations and we demand now from every DVD that definitive dramatic/funny/heartwarming making-of which covers every aspect imaginable. It just can't happen with every movie.

I was giddy to get the "Unrated, Recut and Extended Edition" of Sin City but then I learned that almost all of the 20 something added minutes are in fact Credits which appear after each episode.
So much for "Extended".
Then I learned that there is about one more gore-scene in the new version which is not any more brutal than the rest of the scenes in the standard "rated R"-version.
So much for "Unrated".

Matt Brabender January 9th, 2006 05:42 AM

It's interesting I'm not the only one with the 4:3 niggle. I guess, as with the feature, I love the feeling of being submerged in the 'making of' and feel like I'm actually on set. That's why I have a big widescreen tv.
The Lord of the Rings special edition series is phenomenal. Then I watch the extras from War of the Worlds and ask 'why couldn't they at least fill my screen'.

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend anyone by with that niggle. In fact, I'd love to do a 'making of' doco. One of my dreams :)

Mathieu Ghekiere January 9th, 2006 10:26 AM

I love dvd's, and sometimes a director's cut can be worth it, not always of course.
Director's cuts of Brazil, Dances With Wolves, Léon or the EE from LOTR are definately a stepup from the original movies.

I don't care that much about commentary and not a thing for different angles, but I do like good making of documentaries. I downright love them, I just love to see how a movie gets made.
Some movies (LOTR, 12 Monkeys, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jaws, Once Upon A Time in the West,...) have really, REALLY good making of documentaries.
I hate it when a dvd features no extras and no making of's.

But, movie is the most important, and I care that it's presented in it's original aspect ratio (no pan & scan's!).
And indeed, sometimes they really overreact with their 15 different editions with 3 minutes of more footage and an extra documentary that runs over 7 minutes!

Glen Chua January 9th, 2006 07:56 PM

It pisses me off that there are like 4 previews in the beginning of each DVD now too.

Glen Chua
www.moonlitefilms.com