DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Kill Bill - Quentin Tarantino (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/5788-kill-bill-quentin-tarantino.html)

Paul Sedillo January 3rd, 2003 07:24 AM

Kill Bill - Quentin Tarantino

The trailer has just been released for the forth coming Quentin Tarantino film - Kill Bill:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/kill_bill/

Matt Betea January 3rd, 2003 05:03 PM

Looks like it'll be a good, fast-paced movie. Personally I hope it's not loaded with "the matrix" type fx.

Joe Carney January 3rd, 2003 05:04 PM

Looks like a cool homage to Bruce Lee, except with Kantanas.
Of course Uma Thurman looks much better in a yellow jump suit than Bruce ever could.
Hell, with Lucy Liu, I'll see it anyway.

Paul Sedillo January 3rd, 2003 05:25 PM

Matt,

The wire work looks excellent. It looks very similar to most Hong Kong type martial arts films. I would be very suprised if they have anything close to the Matrix.

Joe,

Great call on the Bruce Lee homage. From what I have seen in the trailer, it looks very much like a Bruce Lee type of movie. I am amped up to see it.

John Locke January 3rd, 2003 06:50 PM

When was this made? Usually, you hear about gaijin movies in production over here. But I never heard a peep about this one. It'll be great to see something filmed on home turf for a change.

Imran Zaidi January 3rd, 2003 08:27 PM

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but this trailer seems like a joke, like in a few months the real trailer will come out and it'll actually seem like a Tarantino flick. As it looks now, it seems like some artificial thing cooked up in one of those Simpson's episodes with McBain the Arnold-like action star.

God I hope there are no catch phrases...

Also, I wonder if the title has anything to do with that old radio station from Reservoir Dogs... K-Billy Super Sounds of the 70s...

Matt Betea January 3rd, 2003 09:36 PM

True. But I hope it isn't like the Matrix. I remember all the old Jet Li movies. For the time they were decent. But since the Matrix it seems you can't have a realistic (or as close to it) fight sequence. Granted it's just a "tease" trailer. So I hope and would assume it being a Tarantino flick that there will be more to it than that.

With the matrix (and martial arts movies before) I felt the wire work added to the story. It seems like now it's just to say, "hey look, we can do it too!", and adds nothing to the story. For me wire work is getting up there close to the "blurred, jittery" text fx you see for credits and whatnot and the in&out of focus on the all time "cheese" list.

Dylan Couper January 4th, 2003 12:50 AM

Meh.

Looks like a flop.

Jeff Donald January 5th, 2003 05:39 PM

The film is already getting lots of press. I just read a forum where one of the posters asks "Why do they want to kill Bill Gates?"

Jeff

John Locke January 5th, 2003 10:01 PM

Hmmm...and I think it looks like it'll be pretty cool.

(John nervously starts to wonder how uncool his perceptions are to the eyes of the world)

Joe Carney January 7th, 2003 02:35 PM

>> sequence. Granted it's just a "tease" trailer. So I hope and would assume it being a Tarantino flick that there will be more to it than that.
<<
I just saw ballistic: ecks vs sever on DVD.
This one went in and out of the theaters pretty fast.

Some of the best non enhanced martial arts scenes in a long time between Lucy Liu and Antonio Bandaras (and many others). Lucy was outstanding in the stick fighting scene against the cops. Balanced, realistically fast and coordinated.

Lots of pyrotechnics (explosions) that were not really needed.

Also stars Ray Parks as one of the bad guys. (Darth Maul will forever be stereotyped).

Very little wire work in this one. The producer/director did not want just another wired kung fu flick.

Also has some of the best establishing shots in and around Vancouver I'ver ever seen.

I acutally like this film better than XXX. Plot was thin but at least it existed.

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 7th, 2003 03:01 PM

The script has been available online for months now. My prediction--mediocre box office.

Joe Carney January 8th, 2003 09:37 PM

More on ecks vs sever on DVD

On the down side. The character Lucy Liu plays is simply Keneu Reeves in drag. From the black long leather coat and sunglasses to the messianic character(she saves a little boy and the world from a new super weapon).
that is probably what killed it at the box office.
But the kung fu was good.