Which movies would make you upgrade to an HD player? If any ... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM   #31
Wrangler

The Devil In Miss Jones
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #32
Major Player

Terminator 2. I saw it 15 times in 70mm when I lived in Denver. (maybe it already is in HD) :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 07:51 PM   #33
Major Player

Fantasia is the One

Fantasia, in its full length, would be the one that would move me to spring for the cost of an HD player. Does anyone have an answer to the mystery, about how many hours of it there really are? The most common version is just two hours long. However, when I was in the 6th grade, all students in town were taken to a theater over a two-week period and shown a five-hour edition. I have a set of Kodak slides from Fantasia, that were sold when it premiered, that show some sequences and cartoon characters that didn't appear in even the five-hour edit. I know some people from other parts of the country, who swear they saw 7 hours of it and other friends have heard there were 11 hours or even more that were originally produced.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:45 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Personally, I would like to see :

Sleep Hollow : specially for the colour and the atmosphere..
Star Wars
LA Confidential
Aliens
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM   #35
Trustee

there's several things that i'd like to see happen before i take a plunge for HD player:

1. the listing of all official bluray&HD-DVD specs. video i'm ok with. it's the audio that makes me woozy. for example with these HD formats, movie studios can include Dolby Digital HD, True HD, DTS-HD and... are there more? i'd like to know them all, the bit-rate, compressed or not, etc.

2. it's not just the spex, it's the studios' committment to releasing material with those formats. if the studios say NO to the new hi-res audio, i'll just stick with the plain ole vanilla DD-EX, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, matrix, etc. thus far, the newly announced movies coming out this year do not have details on the audio formats. yes, i realize the new formats will be backwards compatible, but that's not my point. the point is to be future-proof.

3. the announcement or arrival of a/v receivers capable of decoding DD HD, TrueHD, DTS-HD if hollywood is committed to it.

4. i'd like to see some of the classic movies released on HD formats before i plunge for a player. entire chaplain collection, entire FW Murnau, Fritz Lang, some of Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton and of course, the 'giants' of the film past like john ford, huston, elia kazan, capra, and so on. if there's enough dedication on the software AND hardware front that i know i won't be buying into a dead format, i wouldn't mind making HD platform as the final resting stop for my collection. even if Ultra Definition comes out, i wouldn't care =). i honestly think HD is the last great consumer format before virtual reality and trek-like entertainment (holo-novels, here we come!).
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Come on people... HD is for epics

IMHO its all about the epics. Braveheart, Gladiator, King Arthur, THe Patriot. Those are the movies that would be incredible in HD. Cinderall Man would look good, as wood the James Bond Films, as they are known for their great locations and big explosions.

Bryon <><
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #37
Major Player

Ice Pirates
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark