DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Which movies would make you upgrade to an HD player? If any ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/58298-movies-would-make-you-upgrade-hd-player-if-any.html)

Michael Wisniewski January 14th, 2006 04:45 PM

Which movies would make you upgrade to an HD player? If any ...

What movies, do you think are worth seeing/owning in HD?

Chris Hurd January 14th, 2006 07:04 PM

Off the top of my head... Citizen Kane, The Godfather Parts 1 & 2, and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Plus Kubrick's 2001 and Barry Lyndon. Those five titles (actually eight I guess) would get me into an HD player. Plus an HDTV, I don't have one yet.

Tim Brown January 14th, 2006 07:14 PM

I'd go with Chris' list, and would add Alien and Aliens.

Hmmmmm... I don't have an HDTV either. I guess that's another topic.

tim

Eric James January 14th, 2006 07:22 PM

It's funny that both my choices are in theaters now but they just looked so amazing on screen. I would love to see them in HD.

King Kong, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Thanks,
Eric James

Steven Gotz January 14th, 2006 07:25 PM

I have 3 HDTVs in the house. I got rid of the last of the old televisions when I moved to Florida last month.

I still can't take my eyes off some of the fantastic footage on Sunrise Earth, and some of the HD travel shows. And the downsized former IMAX movies are enough to make you drop your jaw and just stare at the HDTV.

But there are a few movies I would like to see in HD. Woodstock would be cool. In alphabetical order, let's say Casablanca, Easy Rider, Fantasia, Lawrence of Arabia, all of the Star Wars movies, Top Hat, 2001, Yankee Doodle Dandy.

I am sure there are more I would want to see if they were brought to my attention.

Jack Zhang January 14th, 2006 09:57 PM

Dinosaur, or something like that with photo-real graphics.

Duane Smith January 15th, 2006 12:54 AM

Serenity....oh wait, that's already been announced for the HD-DVD camp. Dangit, and I really wanted a BluRay player! LOL! :-P

Releasing Kubric and Ridley Scott's films in HD would do it for me. Heck, Blade Runner alone would do it, especially if they end up restoring the hospital scene.

But truthfully, I'm going to have to wait a while. The initial price point of the players are just too high for my blood.

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2006 01:29 AM

Well if you're going to get Serenity in HD, you might as well have the entire Firefly series too. Sign me up for that boxed set.

Kevin Shaw January 15th, 2006 01:48 AM

I'm not sure if I care yet about commercial movies, which look okay on widescreen DVDs. I just want to be able to see my own HD footage at full resolution without having to plug a camera into my HDTV, and be able to show it to customers the way they could watch it at home. I'm thinking of getting on the waiting list now for one of the Toshiba players...and if Blu-ray wins I'll have a nice conversation piece a few years down the line.

Steven Gotz January 15th, 2006 09:39 AM

Kevin,

I was an early adopter of the Linkplayer (pre JVC) and have been watching my own movies without the Sony FX1 connected for almost a year now. Get in line. It is worth it even if something new comes out soon. We still have to wait for reasonable priced burners and players. The moment they are announced you will just have to get in that line anyway.

Mathieu Ghekiere January 15th, 2006 10:54 AM

The Blair Witch Project ;-)

Keith Loh January 15th, 2006 12:15 PM

Off the top of my head: "Baraka", "Thin Red Line", "Heat", "Saving Private Ryan", "Apocalypse Now", "2001", "Blade Runner", "Ran", "Lord of the Rings", "Glory".

Steven Gotz January 15th, 2006 01:54 PM

OK Mathieu, that was just plain amusing. I hadn't smiled much today. Thanks for that.

Philip Williams January 15th, 2006 01:59 PM

The Empire Strikes Back.

Baraka.

Stephen Finton January 16th, 2006 10:00 AM

Akira Kurosawa's RAN

Brazil

Blade Runner

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Empire of the Sun

Little Big Man

City of Lost Children

Prospero's Books