How's NBC HDTV Olympic Coverage Working For You? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #1
Major Player

How's NBC HDTV Olympic Coverage Working For You?

I've enjoyed good picture quality and nice camera work on NBC's Olympic coverage, but I've been having many bad picture glitches. Every few minutes, the picture will freeze for several seconds. On the midnight show, there was 5 minutes where the picture froze the whole time. Was this due to local cable and DVR problems or did everyone see these same things? I've previously had mostly flawless HDTV performance with this cable service and DVR. Tomorrow, I'm going to record the Olympics on my SD harddrive DVR, off my broadcast antenna, so I can compare it with the cable HD recordings for glitches.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've had that type of ' freeze frame' on NBC,CBS and ABC and frankly it seems to be the worst on NBC-another one I like alot is on NBCs HD channels in some cases the audio gets lost (meaning the voice is gone but the dramatic music is still there!?!?!?!) whereas on the SD channel its fine. Go figure.
Its too bad that NBCs HD can't give your favorite team an edge!

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Any of you guys seen it on ATSC?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't have HDTV, but...

...am I the only one seeing a pretty bad picture on NBC? It looks like an old analog TV that is slightly off station -- extreme "peakiness" around edges. I was watching the snowboarding stuff, and the trees, uniforms, even Shaun White's hair looked almost solarized. In fact, his hair showed almost normal whenever he turned his head in the interview, but the instant he was relatively still, it just looked bizarre, like a detail filter overdone in post. Bob Costa's eyes are the same way.

Watching the CBC's coverage and it looks great. I'm watching on Comcast. Anyone else seeing this?
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Here is Corvallis, Oregon and in Eugene, Oregon the broadcast looks terrible. There is a lot of chromatic aberration, noise, moire... ugly.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Don, who's your cable provider (at least i assume it was cable)?

I saw (or heard, rather) the same problem with the Super Bowl on ABC, but I wasn't able to see if it was different on SD. My theory is that they lost one of the channels of the 5.1 sound that it was broadcast in.
Michael OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Comcast is my provider. I've never really had picture quality issue other than the occassional "where's the f******g service now" (really only once in a while) but this audio thing drives me crazy (short drive at that) again it doesn't happen all the time or even alot but when it does its really annoying and believe it or not its only NBC-no other network. Oh well why complain, I remember when the only remote I had was my wife! Hey honey change to channel 2-now 5-now 7 now 9 back to 5 hey don't talk to me like that I'm your husband! (just kidding-I used my kids now I'm teaching my grandkids but they know all about remotes) O_O
So far the braodcast looks good no funny looking pictures.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Actually, I just started watching tonight's broadcast and the problems are gone. It now looks fine --- it just took a few days before they figured it out.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Same here, so somebody must've noticed. Watched the women's snowboarding and it looked great. Almost wish I had PVR to step through some of the shots, they were so sharp and detailed. And Costas looks his normal wierd self without the Svengali eyes.

I think this must have been a problem with Crumbcast. They've had other channels that appear almost overloaded. One thing I've had since day one with digital cable is red bleeding. Anything even beginning to approach red purity looks like it was magnified and fuzzy. Definitely the cable, as neither VCR, DVD nor yet good ol' LVD do this.
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #10
Trustee

the winter olympics have had this problem with HD from day1. this is NOTHING new. and it happens on over the air HDTV, not just cable.
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #11
Major Player

I've just watched 5 hours of Comcast HD Olympic coverage on Monday evening and I can't recall any significant glitches. Maybe they have learned how to do it better, with a little practice. Will this last or will the first two days of the next Olympics still be broadcast beta-testing?

On Sunday, the worst pictures came from cross-country skiing, where 50 people in multi-colored clown suits were all thrashing their limbs every which direction. I believe they fully explored the limits of compression for such complex scenes.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark