Embarassing to admit but... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old March 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #16
Capt. Quirk

And Liam also sounded more Scottish than Mel... My favorite part, was where Rob's brother dies. Man he was a whiney little screw up!
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Trustee

Oh man... I have so many!

The interplay in the car between Gene Hackman and his movie ex-wife, Joanna Cassidy in "The Package":

Gene: So, are ya still seeing that swab jockey?
Joanna: If you mean Commander (&^%(*&^%$... sometimes.
Gene: You living alone?
Joanna: Sometimes.
Gene: What's that supposed to mean?
Joanna: It means sometimes I live alone and sometimes I don't.
Gene: Well you sound like you're jumping in and out men's beds!
Joanna: Mind you own P's and Q's!
Gene (Laughs) Oh that's a good one!
Joanna: You never ask me how my career's going!
Gene: How's your career?
Joanna: Or my health!
Gene: How's your health?

You have to see how Hackman delivers his lines. Cracks me up every time. He's unreal. And, of course, Steve McQueen in "The Towering Inferno":

One of his Firemen has acrophobia and is scared to repel down the elevator shaft. McQueen says to him: "Then you go first. That way if you get scared and fall, you won't take any of us with you."

Ahhh... the movies. If I have more that come to mind I will post 'em.
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Stanley

"You can't fight in the war room!" President (If I remember correctly) Peter Sellers in Kubrick"s Dr. Strangelove or "How I learned to love the bomb."
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #19
Major Player

I would say that in the case of braveheart extreme poetic lisence was used , there were basic truths like his wife was killed in the town of Lanark where they lived (which is where i was born and still live) ,that he was hung drawn and quartered and the victors of the battles stirling bridge falkirk and bannockburn

The ruins of the church where he married his wife in secret still stand today. And at the bottom of Lanark Highstreet there is a monument where his house stood. Its a nice little town, if you ever find yourself in Scotland you should go and see it.

My knowledge of the real Rob Roy isn't so good and I can't remember the film too well but I do remember not really liking it. I was only 14 when I saw it back in 95 so I should probably give it another go.
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #20
New Boot

"Red October" the moment when the Russians realize they torpedoed themselves.
Joe Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Hey, some of these scenes you guys are mentioning aren't all that embarassing! This is supposed to be "all the bits we shouldn't love, but do anyway." Kubrick and Kurosawa films don't exactly fall into that category -- love those without feeling embarassed! Marco was asking for cheesy moments to the extreme, that you can fess up to actually liking.

Kudos to Lorinda for tagging one of the schmaltziest Ron Howard moments ever to be printed on celluloid in recent history. If I were to admit to a favorite guilty pleasure, it would have to be the exact scene she described in Apollo 13. It's not as if we don't know how it'll turn out... everybody knows going in that our astros returned to Earth safe and sound. But that tense scene in Mission Control still gets to me anyway. "Will they make it? Can they make it? Oh, the suspense..."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #22
Major Player

Your right Chris, so I'll put in the scene at the end of the Goonies where one eyed Willy's pirate ship sails off into the sunset....lol got me every time as a kid and still does!

Andy.
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #23
Major Player

Alright, who can't love a lovable robot.

Number 5, is alive. Short Circuit. Now, I'm embarrased.

More input!
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Hey, some of these scenes you guys are mentioning aren't all that embarassing! This is supposed to be "all the bits we shouldn't love, but do anyway." Kubrick and Kurosawa films don't exactly fall into that category -- love those without feeling embarassed! Marco was asking for cheesy moments to the extreme, that you can fess up to actually liking.

Kudos to Lorinda for tagging one of the schmaltziest Ron Howard moments ever to be printed on celluloid in recent history. If I were to admit to a favorite guilty pleasure, it would have to be the exact scene she described in Apollo 13. It's not as if we don't know how it'll turn out... everybody knows going in that our astros returned to Earth safe and sound. But that tense scene in Mission Control still gets to me anyway. "Will they make it? Can they make it? Oh, the suspense..."
Ok, how's this:

Florence Henderson in bed with Bobcat Goldthwait in the movie "Shakes the Clown".

Or the entire movie, "The Dark Backward"... I secretly love that movie and NEED it to come out on DVD. :(
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #25
Regular Crew

oh god the shame

Oh dear God the shame...

As the originator of this thread I feel that I should really take this opportunity to get things back on 'embarrassing' track....

(please don't hate me for these...)

1) Speed - "There's a bomb on this bus!" (even though it is more wooden than Noah's Arc...)

2) Iron Eagle - when he puts Queen's 'One Vision' into his cassette player and bombs the hell outa the air strip (am I the only person who remembers this movie?)

3) When Harry met Sally - new years...darn it I'm welling up ;-)

If my girlfriend ever finds this thread she's gonna dump me faster than Michael Shumacher on a school run...
Marco van Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #26
Major Player

Okay, FINE! "You've Got Mail," when Tom Hank's dog comes bounding around the corner at the park and Meg Ryan (before collagen) suddenly realizes it was him all along she was getting the e-mails from.

Likewise, "Sleepless in Seattle," same scenario at the top of the Empire State Building.

Do we feel better now????
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Adam Sandler dukes it out with Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore.

"Dad wanna have a catch"-- Field of Dreams
Old March 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
The movies I've come to love are by Akira Kurosawa and Stanley Kubrick.

Both of them were masters of the camera. You don't see too much, or any(?), of that type of camera work lately. Everythings all fast cuts.

The stories they told were intriguing and kept you glued to your seats, hoping the movie would end soon so you can rush to the restroom and yet, wishing it would last longer...

Stanley Kubrick : Thanks for the memories or how I learned to love the atom bomb.
Clockwork Orange (I think still the best movie)
Lolita

Akira Kurosawa : Seven Samurai
Ran

Clockwork Orange- now that’s a cameraman's movie. The long shots, the wide shots- nothing like it. Stan, once a photojournalist for Look Magazine, knew how to use the lenses perspective

“One sentence is worth a minute of film- so write me 120 good sentences.” or close to it ... SK once said.

Ran is so pure...
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Okay, pure shmaltz.

End of Princess Bride,

when Peter Falk turns to his grandson with "As you wish..."
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #30
Air China Pilot

The end of "The Natural" when the tumbling ball from the pennant game becomes the ball that ends up in the retired Robert Redford's glove. Everything is happy. They are on the farm. Glenn Close is there. So CHEESY but I LOVE IT.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark