DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Dennis Weaver passes away (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/61661-dennis-weaver-passes-away.html)

John C. Chu February 27th, 2006 12:52 PM

Dennis Weaver passes away

Just saw it in today's news that Dennis Weaver passed away.

I only really remember knowing him from the TV movie "Duel" directed by Spielberg[but have seen him in other parts.]

I remember watching "Duel" as a kid and being both frightened and excited by this crazy guy in a big rig chasing Weaver.

But Dennis Weaver really shone in that film and made it believable.

I was on the edge of my seat as I watched Weaver basically beg his car to not overheat and crest the hill before the semi came up on him.

"Come on...come on...."

He will be missed.

Edward Slonaker February 27th, 2006 01:43 PM

I really liked him in "McCloud"....back in the '70s? Oy...I'm showin' my age. I remember "Duel," too. I've been catching it on one of the cable movie channels from time to time. Isn't it interesting how you can make a great movie without profanity, nudity, or extreme violence?

Chris Barcellos February 27th, 2006 02:21 PM

Keep going back, boys.

How about Chester in Gunsmoke (50's,60's.) And lately, he has been the host on the Western Channel.

Richard Alvarez February 27th, 2006 02:58 PM

Okay, that's weird.

First Don Knotts. Then Darren McGavin (Yesterday I said to myself, "These things happen in threes... wonder who is next?)

And now Dennis Weaver.

Yeah, these guys are all familiar to us Baby Boomers. Less so to the young kids on the board.

Mike Teutsch February 27th, 2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Okay, that's weird.

First Don Knotts. Then Darren McGavin (Yesterday I said to myself, "These things happen in threes... wonder who is next?)

And now Dennis Weaver.

Yeah, these guys are all familiar to us Baby Boomers. Less so to the young kids on the board.

All of these guys I loved and will miss. And yes, I used to watch Dennis Weaver in "Gunsmoke," and "McCloud!" How about Don Knotts in "The Apple Dumpling Gang," and Darren McGavin in "Night Stalker!"

They do say that these things come in threes, but the real wierd thing is that the first names of each start with "D!"

Mike

J. Stephen McDonald February 28th, 2006 01:35 AM

Dennis Weaver the Star Athlete

Probably not many know that in 1948, Dennis Weaver placed 2nd in the NCAA Decathlon championship. That was the same year that a 17-year old Bob Mathias won the Olympic Decathlon gold medal. I wonder if Weaver tried out for the Olympic team and where he might have placed in the team trials?

The role he had on TV in "Gunsmoke", was one that was shifted over from a very popular radio series. His character had been called "Chester Proudfoot" on radio and was played by Parley Baer. I guess they thought that since "Chester" had an impaired leg, it would be more politically correct on the TV show to change his last name to "Goode". This is the earliest example of PC in American television I can recall. The voice of Marshall Dillon was done on radio by William Conrad, later known for his role as "Cannon". His strong voice became identified with the character and they planned at first to use him on the TV show. But then, someone realized that he was about 6 inches shorter than Weaver and built like a barrel, so they picked the 6' 6" James Arness, instead.

Weaver always carried an aura of honesty and integrity into his roles. This is a quality that seems unfashionable among many acting stars today, with the antihero theme becoming more common. But, how many of them will we remember so well when they are 81?